Starting to feel at home

Default Edward Ayshford of Exeter, 17thC

This is a long shot but I wondered if anyone has researched the Ayshford family and might know the parentage of three 17thC siblings in my tree. I believe I'm descended from Edward Ayshford, a draper in Exeter who became a Freeman of the city in 1651 and whose will is dated 1688. The will mentions his brothers-in-law Nicholas Savery (married to Edward's wife's sister) and Andrew Horsman, a merchant and mayor of Plymouth who married a Margaret Ayshford, evidently Edward's sister.

The Horsman connection indicates that Edward and Margaret were siblings of Roger Ayshford, merchant, of Plymouth, whose will of 1674 also mentions Horsman as his brother-in-law. There's an Ayshfords of Ayshford website that suggests that Edward may have been a son of an Edward Ayshford of Halberton, but I'm not sure on what basis beyond possible chronology and the repetition of names - the site doesn't mention Edward's siblings.

I can't see any birth records for Edward, Roger and Margaret Ayshford/Aishford/Ashford that would obviously identify their father/parents. A Roger Ayshford was christened in Exeter in 1623 and is said in the Ayshford of Ayshfords site to have been the son of Thomas Ayshford, a barrister, and Cecilia Hill and to have died young. Unless this information is mistaken, this early death means he couldn't have been "my" Roger.

Andrew Horsman's will leaves bequests to three Ayshford siblings (Maudlin, Anne and Mary), but doesn't state how they were connected to him, so it's unclear if they were close relatives of his wife, Margaret. The women were daughters of John Ayshford of Wonwell Court and sisters of Arthur Ayshford who married a Joan Savery (niece of Nicholas, above). This might suggest that Edward and his siblings came from this branch of the Ayshford family.

Apologies for the rambling post. If the names ring any bells and anyone can shed light on how Edward, Roger and Margaret fit into the extended Ayshford clan, or suggest avenues for further research, I would be very interested to hear.

Many thanks,

Mark

Super Moderator

Default Ayshfords

Out of interest I did a search for Ayshford on the internet (and Ancestry). On Ancestry there is a will of a Johannes who was born about 1691 in Burlescombe, Devon.

There is an article on Ayshford Chapel in Burlescombe, also more on the Ayshfords of Ayshford, Devon just wondered if you could have the connection there.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you, Sue. I think there may well be a connection to that family, the Ayshfords of Ayshford Court, who built the chapel. It could possibly be via the Ayshfords of Wonwell, a branch of the same family who had ties to both of Edward Ayshford's brothers-in-law, though I don't have anything to prove it.