Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Default Alfred Henry Henson will

I recently found a death Notice on the S. African website for who I think is my gr. uncle, Alfred Henry Henson. There is very little information so I am not 100% certain it is him. They only state he died Dec. 19. 1949 at age 68. ( age would be correct) Born in England, parents deceased ( not named) and he wasn't married. He died in Addington hospital, Durban. It does say he left a will but so far I have not heard back from an email I sent inquiring how to go about obtaining a copy of it and the cost in Canadian dollars. I am hoping there may be something in the will to indicate I have the correct person. I have read the sticky posts on here but I must be doing something wrong

Thanks, Sue

A fountain of knowledge

SUE
    I don't know if you have details of Alfred's birth in the UK. It sounds as though you don't.I found only one birth with those names and approx year of birth 1881 between 1879 and 1883 as below which gives the mother's maiden name as Cooksey if this is your relative.HANSON, ALFRED HENRY COOKSEY GRO Reference: 1880 M Quarter in WEST BROMWICH Volume 06B Page 850
    and marriage Q1 1877 West Bromwich of Hanson John to Cooksey Eliza W. Bromwich 6b791
    Hope that helps.Jill

his last will & testament are on FamilySearch in the pages following the death notice - starting on page 716

"Pietermaritzburg Estate Files 1846-1950"

In case you can't find it - he revokes any previous wills, appoints Marjorie Olave Valerie Woolridge & Leslie Lidstone Woolridge (both of Durban) as executors.

He leaves all estate & property to
    Marjorie Olave Valerie Woolridge
    Zelah Mary Butchart
    Mavis Hazel Budd
    Iris Elsie Marsh

the witnesses are
    W H Sutton
    W H Jackman

I don't seem to agree with the birth found at #2 above

why not Alfred Henry HENSON born J quarter, 1881, Hampstead - mmn POWELL - volume 1a page 614 ?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    SUE
    I don't know if you have details of Alfred's birth in the UK. It sounds as though you don't.I found only one birth with those names and approx year of birth 1881 between 1879 and 1883 as below which gives the mother's maiden name as Cooksey if this is your relative.HANSON, ALFRED HENRY COOKSEY GRO Reference: 1880 M Quarter in WEST BROMWICH Volume 06B Page 850
    and marriage Q1 1877 West Bromwich of Hanson John to Cooksey Eliza W. Bromwich 6b791
    Hope that helps.Jill
    Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    I don't seem to agree with the birth found at #2 above

why not Alfred Henry HENSON born J quarter, 1881, Hampstead - mmn POWELL - volume 1a page 614 ?
    I'm assuming that Jill misread the surname because Sue says Alfred's age (68) at death is correct so not only is the name incorrect but the age doesn't work, either. Though it does for your Hampstead find.

Excellent find on that will, by the way.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    He leaves all estate & property to
    Marjorie Olave Valerie Woolridge
    Zelah Mary Butchart
    Mavis Hazel Budd
    Iris Elsie Marsh
    Marjorie Woolridge was born Jackman and married LL Woolridge at Ladysmith in 1934

Zelah was Zelah Mary Jackman who married Alexander Butchart in 1940

Mavis was Hazel Mavis Jackman Taylor (?) who married Frederick Harry Budd in 1947

Iris was Iris Elsie Jackman who married T C L Marsh in 1943

(apologies if any of these are still living)

Yes, I have all the information on Alfred..he is the son of Alfred and Jane. It is just his death I have been searching for, forever. My grandmother never spoke of her brother very often. We just knew he worked on the rail lines in South Africa and went back and forth from England. I will look at the will if it is on Family Search..I did not see it there, but I find their website very hard to use. The people named in the will are all unknown to me. I was really hoping for a clue that would positively identify him as my Alfred. Some trees have him as an Alfred Henson who died May 1957 in Greenwich, but when I trace that Alfred back he was from a different family. Guess I keep searching!

I notice that Mr & Mrs Woolridge witness Alfred's death notice where they are described as "friends" of the deceased - so I would guess that all those Jackman ladies are similarly friends rather than relations.

sorry you find FamilySearch difficult to use.

this is a link to the one-page will on page 716
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...715&cc=2573604

this is a link to the death notice on page 712
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...A1%3AQPC7-HJ7K

I guess that if, for whatever reason, he lost contact with his family, they would be unlikely to be mentioned in his will?

in your opening post you mention "the S.African website" - which website is that please ?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by susan-y View Post
    Yes, I have all the information on Alfred..he is the son of Alfred and Jane. It is just his death I have been searching for, forever. My grandmother never spoke of her brother very often. We just knew he worked on the rail lines in South Africa and went back and forth from England. I will look at the will if it is on Family Search..I did not see it there, but I find their website very hard to use. The people named in the will are all unknown to me. I was really hoping for a clue that would positively identify him as my Alfred. Some trees have him as an Alfred Henson who died May 1957 in Greenwich, but when I trace that Alfred back he was from a different family. Guess I keep searching!
    Would the fact that on his death certificate it says he worked on the railways be clue enough?

I sometimes have problems searching on FS, but I found the same record as wimsey very easily.
    Sign in, then click 'search' in the top banner, and select 'records' from the dropdown menu.
    Click on Africa, and then select South Africa from the countries dropdown menu.
    Enter Alfred's name, and click 'death' from the life event choices and enter 1949.
    Two results. First one is a 'Form of information of a death'.
    And the next one begins with a Death Notice. Some of the following pages are repeated, but just keep reading until you come to a page with a different name.

If you want to use the links which wimsey inconsiderately provided while I was s-l-o-w-l-y typing my reply I think you will find that you have to sign in to the FamilySearch site first, before they will work.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast