Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    in your opening post you mention "the S.African website" - which website is that please ?
    Probably one of those mentioned by Sue in the stickies at the top of the South Africa forum.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...rica-Genealogy

I would bet on this one
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...otices-on-line

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

in your opening post you mention "the S.African website" - which website is that please ?
    Actually it was on Family Search, but only after I googled South African genealogy as I wasn't having any luck.. It took me to the Pietermartzburg pages which are on FamilySearch.
    Okay Pam , I will try again!! As you say, the railway bit is what made me think it was him... better than any leads in England! I hope you are well.....I'm still waiting on that email, by the way!!!

Marjorie Woolridge was born Jackman and married LL Woolridge at Ladysmith in 1934

Zelah was Zelah Mary Jackman who married Alexander Butchart in 1940

Mavis was Hazel Mavis Jackman Taylor (?) who married Frederick Harry Budd in 1947

Iris was Iris Elsie Jackman who married T C L Marsh in 1943

(apologies if any of these are still living)
    Hi wimsey..
    Thanks for your help..can you please tell me where you found the marriages? I managed to find the will after some sleuthing ! I am trying to figure out how he knew these people.
    I don't believe he lost contact with his family but by the time of his death the only other member alive was his sister, my maternal grandmother, and she was in Vancouver, BC. They had a sad family life. In 1893 a new born baby brother died from diphtheria and then 2 little sisters died and then their mother. All in the space of a few months. My grandmother was 10 and had to keep house for their father until he remarried several years later. She then came to Canada as an assisted housekeeper. After she settled in Vancouver after " jumping in to a snow bank to run away from the people she was working for in cold North Bay, Ontario" her remaining sister also came. Their father came a few years later after his 2nd wife had passed away.

those marriages are also on your favourite FamilySearch! I didn't investigate them any further, but they were all South Africa. My guess would be that they are Jackman sisters. And one of the will witnesses was a Jackman too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12