Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Spencer/Harris in Garston

I have not done a lot of family research for sometime but a couple of months back I decided to see if I could find some more information about my Great Uncle Alfred Spencer born Nov 1888 in Chilvers Coton Warwickshire. He was killed in Flanders on the 19th July 1916. Until recently all i knew was what my dad told me about him such as he was in the Black Watch, what dad never mentioned was that Alfred had married, dad died in 2011 aged 100 and remembered his uncle Alfred. I have found the following about Alfred's wife: Name Beatrice Harris B 1890 in Portsmouth. Farther Thomas Perkins Harris, mother Emily Nash. Married Alfred 11 January 1916 in St Michael's Church Garston. It appears Beatrice had 5 siblings. However, I know nothing more about Beatrice, did she remarry? when did she die? were there any children? not even what she did? I was wondering if anyone has any information about the Harris family in Garston.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyW View Post
    I have not done a lot of family research for sometime but a couple of months back I decided to see if I could find some more information about my Great Uncle Alfred Spencer born Nov 1888 in Chilvers Coton Warwickshire. He was killed in Flanders on the 19th July 1916. Until recently all i knew was what my dad told me about him such as he was in the Black Watch, what dad never mentioned was that Alfred had married, dad died in 2011 aged 100 and remembered his uncle Alfred. I have found the following about Alfred's wife: Name Beatrice Harris B 1890 in Portsmouth. Farther Thomas Perkins Harris, mother Emily Nash. Married Alfred 11 January 1916 in St Michael's Church Garston. It appears Beatrice had 5 siblings. However, I know nothing more about Beatrice, did she remarry? when did she die? were there any children? not even what she did? I was wondering if anyone has any information about the Harris family in Garston.
    From Where have you got Emily's surname as being Nash? From what I found her surname is Corin/Coran.
    I'm presuming this is Emily and three of the children in 1891. Living in Portsmouth. RG12/859 folio 10 page 22
    Emily, 32, born Lambeth
    Mabel S, 9, Devonport
    Emily F,2, Portsmouth
    Beatrice, 1, Portsmouth

And the family in 1901 living in Garston, West Derby (Liverpool).
    RG13/3507 folio 168 page 40
    Thomas P Harris, 39, Devonport
    Emily,41, London
    Mabel S, 19, Devonport
    Emily F, 12, Portsmouth
    Beatrice, 11, Portsmouth
    Gertrude, 3, Garston
    Violet, 1, Garston

I haven't checked the Harris family in 1911, but if they were in Garston in 1911, then I would assume that Beatrice may well have stayed in the area after Alfred's death. Several Beatrice Spencer marriages in Lancashire 1916-1939 but none in West Derby registration district.

Have you checked for Beatrice or any of her siblings in the 1939 Register?

FreeBMD isn't showing any Spencer births mother's maiden name Harris for 1916/early 1917 so I'm assuming there were no children from Alfred and Beatrice's marriage.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Thank you Pam the 1901 family is the correct family as they only married in the January he must have been posted not long after and died in the July so most probably no children but I can’t find a death for her either. At the minute I don’t have a FMP or Ancestry access and I’m now not sure where Nash came from. I am really interested in what happened to Beatrice as she was never mentioned yet Alfred was. Beatrice was mentioned in an army document with an amount of £3.00 against het name and it was when that record became available did I realise he married. There is a death for a Beatrice Spencer but her age is wring.

I was thrown by the Nash surname, having identified likely birth registrations with mother's maiden name Corin/Coran. Also thrown by the first born, Mabel Susannah Harris, being baptised Stoke Damerel, 29 Sep 1881 but with father's name George John Dix Harris, mother Emily. Found marriage cert on FMP for George John Dix Harris and Emily Corin, married 25 Dec 1879.
    But George died 1882 (Probate FMP) and a Thomas Perkins Harris married Jun Qtr 1883, Stoke Damerel - on the same page Emily Harris.

But yet to find a Nash link?
    No luck with any post 1916 searches for Beatrice.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Starting to feel at home

I have managed to get a copy of their marriage not sure how to add it to post though. Quarter March 1916 West Derby 8b 512 on freebmd

Quote Originally Posted by RoyW View Post
    I have managed to get a copy of their marriage not sure how to add it to post though. Quarter March 1916 West Derby 8b 512 on freebmd
    Do you mean their marriage certificate, or do you mean just the details you've posted re the info on FreeBMD?

If you mean the marriage certificate, then unless there's some words you can't read there's no real need to post the image - we trust you to be able to transcribe and correctly type the details.

Re this bit in post #3
    There is a death for a Beatrice Spencer but her age is wrong.
    Where? When? How old?

Pam

Famous for offering help & advice

The image of the cert is on Ancestry.

Starting to feel at home

What I have is the Church record which shows all details, fathers names witnesses etc

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    I was thrown by the Nash surname, having identified likely birth registrations with mother's maiden name Corin/Coran. Also thrown by the first born, Mabel Susannah Harris, being baptised Stoke Damerel, 29 Sep 1881 but with father's name George John Dix Harris, mother Emily. Found marriage cert on FMP for George John Dix Harris and Emily Corin, married 25 Dec 1879.
    But George died 1882 (Probate FMP) and a Thomas Perkins Harris married Jun Qtr 1883, Stoke Damerel - on the same page Emily Harris.

But yet to find a Nash link?
    No luck with any post 1916 searches for Beatrice.
    Who's a very clever helachau? Excellent sleuthing.
    George and Thomas were brothers. Children of George Edwin and Susannah Jane. George baptised in 1856, but Thomas not until 1864 though born in 1861.
    Baptism register images on FMP.

RoyW - forgot to say in my previous post that if your local library is open you can probably access either FMP or Ancestry there. Even better, if you're a library member you can often access the the site(s) at home for free.

Pam

Famous for offering help & advice

On the marraige cert Beatrice address is 61 York St,

1939 register,same address.
    Beatrice Spencer 14 Dec 1889 Female Textile Accessories General Help Widowed

Looks like a shared address with
    Gertrude Collett1897,
    husband,Albert Collett 1895
    Albert Collett 1929

This death reg DOB out by a year from 1939 register.
    Beatrice Spencer
    Birth 14 12 1890
    Death quarter 2. 1979
    Liverpool
    Volume 36
    Page 0375

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast