Settling in

Default Ag Lab in an industrial town in 1841 census

I have an ancestor living in Heaton Norris, Stockport in 1841. He is from Ireland, had been in Cheshire since at least 1828 as he married there. His occupation on 1841 census is shown as Ag Lab. Now, I can't imagine there were many farms for him to work on around the area, it being very industrial so my question is, could Ag Lab have been an abbreviation used also for general labourers? By 1851 he and his family have moved to Hull, Yorkshire and his occupation is that of factory labourer.
    TIA for any advice.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Have you looked at least six pages either side of your ancestor's record to see how what other occupations are listed?

Without a name, age, and census reference it's impossible for us to look any further as both FMP and Ancestry deny that Heaton Norris exists in 1841.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Reputation beyond repute

both FMP and Ancestry deny that Heaton Norris exists in 1841
    Well, not quite true. Ancestry 1841 England Census...Browse...County=Lancashire...Civil Parish=Manchester...Sub-registration District=Heaton Norris

Enumeration Districts:

District 1
    District 10
    District 11
    District 12
    District 13
    District 14
    District 15
    District 16
    District 17
    District 18
    District 19
    District 2
    District 20
    District 21
    District 3
    District 4
    District 5
    District 6
    District 7
    District 8
    District 9
    District Heaton Norris Workhouse

Also National Archives
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/C3761315

HO 107/582
    Description:

Hundred: Salford (Street Indexed).

Parish: Manchester (part); Township: (3)Heaton Norris. Rest is in HO 107/569-581 and 583-586

could Ag Lab have been an abbreviation used also for general labourers?
    No.

Famous for offering help & advice

Looking at old tithe maps shows that Heaton Norris had a fair amount of farmland around that time.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Thanks to Peter being much brainier then me (and far more helpful than FMP and Ancestry ) I entered piece number 582 and occupation 'ag lab' into FMP, and received one result. However, when I looked at other entries on the two pages I found there were actually five ag labs living in Water Street, Heaton Norris. HO107/582/5 folio 22 page 36. On the previous two pages (still Water Street) there were another six listed.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Pam,
    That's the approach I've been following - first turning up Samuel Coppock in Water Street.
    This map, surveyed 1845, published 1848, shows the area to the west of Heaton Norris

https://maps.nls.uk/view/102344114

North east of Heaton Norris (1845)
    https://maps.nls.uk/view/102344120
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Knowledgeable and helpful

My 3x grandfather was also listed as an ag lab at a time (1851) when he was living in the heart of industrial Leicester. I have no idea where he laboured agriculturally.

Tony
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

One of my ggfathers was an ag lab, which confused me as he lived in a fairly large town. It turned out that he was working for the local asylum/poor house, who had their own dairy herd and fields.
    Have you looked at the early OS maps? If there’s anything like that going on near your guy, the unbuilt land should show.

Settling in

Thank you all for your replies. I hadn't thought of looking as OS maps (Doh!). That is really helpful so thank you Helachau for the links.

Croeso.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"