Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default ALICE CRAWCOUR-ALFRED NYBERG

This new thread should be read in conjunction with earlier threads- ISAAC CRAWCOUR 1815-1886-ESTHER CASHMORE started 6 May 2017 and CrawCour-CRAWCOUR SA lines started 4.11.2009.

The thread is in response to a private message regarding Alice Crawcour daughter of Isaac Crawcour and Esther Cashmore who married Alfred Nyberg.Following the death of Alfred Alice and her children moved to South Africa.
    My connection to the lines is via my 4x great grandfather David Crawcour who died in St.Helier Jersey in 1882 and his descendants who also settled in South Africa including my great grandfather Ernest Henry Hart 1867-1931.
    Isaac Crawcour was the son of David making David the grandfather of Alice.

Alice Nyberg nee Crawcour is buried in Stellawood Jewish Cemetery Durban - she was buried 06.23.1932 age 87.

Alice married Alfred Nyberg in 1880 in Australia.
    The Argus ( Melbourne) 10 January 1880
    On the 1st inst.at the residence of the bride's parents by the Rev.E Blaubaum of St.Kilda, Afred Nyberg of Prahran to Alice, second daughter of J Crawcour Esq of Geelong.

The marriage lasted only 4 years. Alfred died in 1884.
    The Argus (Melbourne)Monday 3 March 1884
    On the 26th ult. at Warrambool, after a short but painful illness, Alfred the dearly beloved husband of Alice Nyberg in his 43rd year...

There were 3 children recorded in the Australian Birth index as being born to Alice and Alfred:
    Isadore Isaac Morris Nyberg, Victoria 1880
    Isaac Alfred Nyberg, Frahns Victoria 1882
    Esther Ellen Nyberg,Warracknabeal, Victoria 1883

The Tombstone of Isadore Isaac Morris Nyberg can be seen on Findagrave (photograph of the tombstone with Hebrew and English inscription) Death 28 May 1935 Burial Stellawood Cemetery 1935- see also JewishGen Online worldwide Burial Registry.

The South African Archive Records have:
    Isaac Alfred Nyberg(1958) with reference to his wife Helen Bremner Campbell born Rietvelei Natal-Pietermaritzburg Archive

There is also the burial record of Sam Haim Nyberg born 1853 died 6.2.1925 age 72 Stellawood Jewish Cemetery Durban. I do not currently know if this individual has any relationship to Alice or Alfred Nyberg.

I will post further.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

The following data shows that a Mrs Nyberg left Australia for South Africa in 1903:
    "Mrs Nyberg who left here some weeks ago with her son and daughters for South Africa have reached their destination safely and have settled in Petermauritz where Mr Alfred Nyberg is a resident"

The Hebrew Standard of Australia Friday 3 April 1903.

Nb Given that Alfred Nyberg died in 1884 this newspaper article may refer to a different individual and further research is required.

An account of the burial of Alfred Nyberg.."The funeral of Mr Alfred Nyberg took place today, the deceased was the first Jew who has ever been interred here... a Jewish official came from Melbourne specially to consecrate the ground and perform the funeral rites. The deceased had not been long in Warrambool,having started business as a pawnbroker"

See JewishGen Online world wide burial records- ALFRED NYBERG age 42 Geelong Eastern Cemetery Hebrew name Ashel ben Yisrael 1 Adar 5644 Section B Row B Plot 14,1

See also JewishGen online worldwide burial records for Alice Nyberg nee Crawcour - Plot 1-4 Stellawood and her son Isadore Plot G-18 Stellawood ( see details of their burial in an earlier post)

Default ESTHER ELLEN NYBERG aka NELLIE MYBERG

This post relates to Esther Ellen Nyberg aka Nellie MYBERG daughter of Alfred NYBERG and Alice CRAWCOUR.
    Numbers of Ancestry.Co public family trees have failed to note that Ellen aka Nellie real surname was Nyberg.
    The South African Records online (National Archives of South Africa (NAASA)have Esther Nell POTTAGE born MYBERG Australia -spouse Charles George Pottage Deceased estate Ref 2553/1965. Another record 31241/1940 has Nellie Esther Pottage and Charles George Pottage.
    There is an earlier record of Henry Walter Sewpest complaint of assault by Alfred Izaac Myberg 1903 Pietermartizburg- is this Alfred also Isaac Alfred Nyberg?

There is 1 Ancestry.Co public family tree which has the right Esther Ellen Nyberg with marriage to Charles George Pottage. The marriage date is given as 16 July 1904. Charles George Pottage 1881-1940 suggests the South Africa record is likely related to his death.
    A son Norman George Pottage 1915-2035 married to Sheila Margaret Wright 1920-1995 is also recorded on various Ancestry public trees.

The following are 2 Death Records for the Natal Province see Familysearch records.
    ISIDORE NYBERG
    age 54 European born Australia Single Photographer
    Date of death 28 May 1935
    Sanatorium Chelmsford Road Durban
    Place of residence
    109 Musgarve Road Durban
    Place of burial Stellawood Durban
    Cause of Death
    Angina pectoris - Concurrent Myocardial degeneration 18 months

CHARLES GEORGE POTTAGE
    European age 59 Born India Married
    Station Master (Retired)South African Railways-Pensioner South African Railways and Harbour
    Death 6 July 1940
    16 Hedge Row Brighton Beach Durban Natal
    Cause of Death
    Angina Pectoris
    Place of Burial Crematorium Stellawood Durban Natal

Default ALFRED NYBERG 1841-1884

Rory
    I have read your latest e mails and will respond to your private e mail.
    Here is further data on Alfred Nyberg.The Australian Death Index shows Alfred Nyberg with parents Israel Nyberg and Ellen Goldsmith. His Naturalisation Certificate for Victoria records Alfred Nyberg Commercial Traveller age 25 Born Holkmassen Casel Germany

His probate names Alice Nyberg,Dennis Sutton,Robert Scokey?Hake as witnesses.
    He left £222.10s3d and his personal estate gives specific debts and assets including a debt of £150 owed to Isaac Crawcour of Geelong. This is his father in law and probably a loan to establish Alfred as a pawnbroker following his marriage to Alice. He had £17 in cash at the time of his death.

I will look further for his parents.

Do you have any information as to why Alice moved to South Africa?

Default VICTOR POTTAGE-JANE STIRTON

This post provides data on the parents of Charles George Pottage.

First of all, there appears to be another daughter of Alfred Nyberg and Alice Crawcour. This child was born in 1884 and one Ancestry public tree has her name Rebecca. The Argus 14 August 1884.. NYBERG -On the 6th inst.at Eastern Beach,Geelong relict of the late Alfred Nyberg, of a daughter. Both doing well. I have yet to fully identify this child.

There are a range of records relating to Victor Pottage the father of Charles George Pottage. These records include those from India, UK and Australia. These records include British Army Service.

1871 Census (Copyright,TNA) RG10 2004 67 10
    North Fork Barracks Wymouth Dorset
    VICTOR POTTAGE 16 Private 2/7nd RF

The UK Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioners Admissions and Discharge Records- Victor Pottage 4.11.1881

Victoria Australia Assisted and Unassisted Passenger Lists
    Sergeant Pottage and wife 33,28 ( there maybe a child listed with them but the section is difficult to read)
    Departure Bombay on the Rome- arrival Melbourne November 1881

The India Select Marriages record
    Victor Miller Pottage age 23 b 1855 marriage 25 Sept 1878 Belgauum Bombay India father Thomas Miller Pottage Spouse Jane Elizabeth STIRTON

There is a Silver Wedding Anniversary Newsaper article showing:
    On 25 September 1878 at St Mary's Church of England, Belgauum India.. Victor, only son of William and Jane Pottage, late of South Melbourne to Jane (Ellie) second daughter of the late John and Jean Stirton of Aberdeen Scotland.Present address Merton Crescent Albert Park.
    The Age 1903

Australian Electoral Rolls show Victor and Jane Pottage at 16 Merton Street South Melbourne where he is listed as a traveller. His wife Jane died in 1903 and Victor between 1905-1906 Electoral Rolls is living alone at 16 Elizabeth Street M Pds Maribyrnong Moree Ponds Victoria- he was a traveller.

Victor was sought by the police in 1906 for embezzlement.
    Victoria Police Gazette 10 March 1906

Victor Pottage charged on warrant with embezzling £3 10s 5d ... a traveller about 50 years 5'7 or 8 inches high,stout build, dark complexion, black moustache only, turning grey, black hair turning grey...failed to appear at City Court Melbourne.

More on the lines to follow.

This is further data on Victor Pottage. The Herald (Melbourne) Weds March 7 1906 recorded his embezzlement from his employer on 3 counts. He was described as "formerly traveller for Messrs T B Guest and Co biscuit manufacturers. He followed two of his children to New Zealand- Leslie Vernon and Edith Jane. He is recorded as dying Oct qtr 1930 Wellington NZ - New Zealand Death Records. His son Leslie had died age 35 in 1928.In the British 1871 Census referred to in the previous post his place of birth was Gibraltar.

His parents William and Jane are buried in Melbourne General Cemetery- Cemetery Records-William POTTAGE death 29 June 1898 Victoria Australia Melbourne Plot No 1793 Section CC Religion CE Transcription
    William POTTAGE died 29 June 1898 age 60 and Jane wife of above died 12 June 1903 age 64- See Findagrave

There is a British Census record ( Crown Copyright TNA) RG10 2007 25 10
    Verne Citadel Barracks Dorset for a William Pottage.
    William Pottage NC Officer M 31 Paymaster's clerk Army b Yorkshire Middleton
    Isabella wife 40 b Gibraltar

However,Jane wife of William was born in 1839 and there is a significant difference in first name. I raised this record because Victor was born in Gibraltar and I suspect his father was in the army. Further research is needed. William Pottage appears in the UK Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioner Admissions and Discharge Records-William POTTAGE age 39 b 1840 Middlesboro York discharge 14 Jan 1879 7th Regiment of Foot Pay Master Sergeant.
    Further research is needed on the line to confirm data.

Rory and Gillian
    I will post further data as my research progresses on the Nyberg aka Myberg.
    First of all our shared lines are via Samuel Crawcour 1748-1816 my x5 great grandfather and his youngest son David Crawcour my 4x great grandfather who died in St.Helier Jersey 1882. Your line descends from David's son Isaac and his daughter Alice. My line descends from David's daughter Ann Rebecca aka Rebecca my 3x great grandmother. Alice is a niece of Rebecca. Ann Rebecca married Aaron Hart.

I will not put all the lines in this post but please look at Cemetery Scribes and Synagogue Scribes online web sites for our Crawcour aka Cravicour family lines. The Crawcour originate from Kracow Poland hence the last name derivation.

Similarly, Nyberg is probably Nueberg from Hesses and an adopted place name.As you may know Jews did not have surnames/last names until they adopted them or were forced to adopt them. Our names are tribal or patriarchal- Abraham ben Moses or Abraham ben Moses Ha Cohen ( Cohen being the priestly line). However, as time progressed Jews adopted a variety of names such as trade names, place names, easy sounding names and many other variations.

You can see the Hebrew names for the Crawcour and others on Cemetery and Synagogue Scribes sites.

Alfred Nyberg's parents were given as Israel and Ellen. It is likely that Ellen's last name maybe Goldschmidt and Goldsmith is the Anglicised version the same applies to Nyberg and to Ellen. We also know where Alfred was born so this narrows down individuals.

Please bear with me as I research further. The problem we have and one that is shared by many with Jewish lines is the name changes and it is often very difficult to identify lines pre arrival in the UK or other countries.

We will keep in touch.

The Nyberg aka Neuberg are Ashkenazi Jews as are the Crawcour.

Having re-read the Victoria Australia Naturalisation Certificate for Alfred Nyberg 6.9.1865 the place of his birth is VOLKMARSEN Hesse Cassel.

I have looked at the current JewishGen Data bases Germany they include Volkmarsen which is in nothern Hesse Germany 28km northwest of Kassel.
    The data base includes 700+ names of individuals who were in the Hesse Kassel area including Neuburger-Goldschmidt 1837-1846.

Importantly, there is a Burial Record for GELLCHEN NEUBURGER nee GOLDSCHMIDT age 63 death 14 March 1869 buried Plot 42 Battenberg Jewish Cemetery City of Allendorf (Eder) Kassel. The husband of Gellchen was ISRAEL NEUBERGER from Volsmarsen.

These maybe the parents of Alfred Nyberg. I believe the last name Nyberg to be Neuberger and Goldsmith is Goldschmidt. There are numbers of Neuberger individuals listed on the Hessen Gatermann Index for the Kassel area.
    Further research is needed to confirm this but the number of Jews living in Volksmarsen during the 1830s-1860s was very small at the time of Alfred's birth in 1840.

The following sources relate to the Neuberger and Goldschmidt families from Volkmarsen Hesse Germany.

See online (translated from German)Wedding Register from Kurhessen and Waldeck (Kassel City)Register 1 and 2
    Weddings from Casselische Policey-und Commercienzeitung 1731-1790 Vol 1 Part 1 and 1791-1830 Vol Part 2
    Books on demand GmbH,22848 Norderstedt 2010 Holger Zierdt (ed)
    These volumes contain hundreds of surnames including Neuberger and Goldschmidt plus towns including Volkmarsen

See the work on developing the Volkmarsen Jewish Museum and the Jewish Cemetery-Ernest and Brigitte Klein-Widen the Circle online article

See online article for photographs of Volkmarsen Places my Family Has Lived.Brotmanblog: A Family Journey

Following a Jewish wedding the ketubah ( marriage record) was given to the bride and not retained by the Synagogue.

Currently we have no details regarding whether or not Alfred Nyberg had siblings. However, the current data does indicate Nueberger and Goldschmidt individuals who lived in Volsmarsen and surrounding area. Further research would be needed to identify the lines.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast