Starting to feel at home

Default Court of Augmentations.

I am not sure if this is the right board for this query, so apologies if it isn't. I have traced my Wiseman ancestors back to William Wiseman who died at Stathern, Leicestershire in 1618 He also had connections to land in Orton, Nottinghamshire.

My question concerns the disposal of monastic land by the Court of Augmentations. The History of Parliament website has a page on John Wiseman of Great Canfield, Essex, who was an auditor to the Court of Augmentations under Sir Richard Rich and also served the 15th Earl of Oxford. It tells us that (amongst other properties) "he acquired a string of monastic properties in Leicestershire". I have looked forward from John Wiseman but can see no connection to William Wiseman.

As well as Stathern, my Wisemans also had land in other villages around Melton Mowbray as well as Orton, Nottinghamshire. So I would like to find out about the string of properties that John Wiseman acquired in Leicestershire to see if any match my ancestors' holdings. The records for the Court of Augmentation consists of four series E326-E329 consisting of 20,000 plus deeds "however they have lost nearly all trace of useful arrangement".

So finally my question is has any one any knowledge relating to searching these records with the aim of finding who acquired which properties from the sale of monastic land? Or rather than reinventing the wheel, has any research been done by others?

Brick wall demolition expert!

The link below mentions the courts of General Surveyors who seem to have had a role in the property aspects of the court of Augmentation, so that might be an aspect to follow up.
    https://www.britannica.com/topic/Court-of-Augmentations

The next link seems to be a summary of the court of Augmentation and mentions individuals.
    https://www.british-history.ac.uk/le.../no1/pp593-611

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Megan for your swift and helpful reply. I will have look at theses as you suggest. all the best Richard.