Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Settling in

Default Where do I go next? Mariner in census record

My 2 x gt-grandfather, Henry Jubb born 1815 in Thorne, Yorkshire, married in Hull 1836 and died between 1852-61 (I cannot find his death) is listed as occupation Mariner on 1851 census return in Hull and in a directory, Stephenson's Directory of Hull in 1848. I know it could be quite a loose term back then, meaning anyone who worked on ships or around the industry. Does anyone know where I can start to try and find anything more about him? I have looked on the National Archive website and it says that records BT113 the Merchant Seaman Registers are on Find My Past. He isn't found on a search on there. I just don't know what else to look at really. Both Thorne and Hull have a shipping industry history so it could be that he didn't actually go to sea but worked on the rivers and canals.

Can anyone give me any suggestions please?
    TIA

Famous for offering help & advice

there seem to be six records on Find My Past for a Henry Jubb - in the Merchant Navy part of their Education & Work section, dated 1835/41/45 - although, to be fair, none of them give exactly 1815 as date of birth.

Perhaps you have already seen those and rejected them.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

The Britiish Newspaper Archive and FMP have several reports in newspapers dated between 29 September and 5 October 1853 of a ship, the Camerton which traded between Hull and Rotterdam, sinking and all hands except Captain Cross, the second mate, and Henry Jubb, a seaman, were saved.

When you can access Hull library/archives have a browse through the local papers. Bound to be more details if it was a local ship with local men on board.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    there seem to be six records on Find My Past for a Henry Jubb - in the Merchant Navy part of their Education & Work section, dated 1835/41/45 - although, to be fair, none of them give exactly 1815 as date of birth.

I've just done general search for Henry Jubb on FMP, 1845 +/- 10 years and there's a record dated 1835, which says he's 21 (i.e. born 1814) and birthplace Thorne. That's in the Britain Merchant Seamen 1835-1857 dataset.

Pam

Brick wall demolition expert!

Below is a link to a National Archives guide on searching for deaths at sea which might assist.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...sea-or-abroad/

Why did I think Thorne was near Hull? 'Tis near Doncaster.

Interestingly, the 1845 record has two Henry Jubbs on the one page. Different Register numbers, and one says Thorne, and the other says Preston, which could mean the one near Hull.

If you search the catalogue on the Hull History Centre website for Henry Jubb hits 2 - 15 refer to Trinity House Muster Rolls.

Bit more about the Muster Rolls, which end in 1851.
    https://www.hullhistorycentre.org.uk/...ter-rolls.aspx
    https://catalogue.hullhistorycentre.o...ab=description

Pam

Settling in

thank you very much, I'll have another look.

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Why did I think Thorne was near Hull? 'Tis near Doncaster.

Interestingly, the 1845 record has two Henry Jubbs on the one page. Different Register numbers, and one says Thorne, and the other says Preston, which could mean the one near Hull.

If you search the catalogue on the Hull History Centre website for Henry Jubb hits 2 - 15 refer to Trinity House Muster Rolls.

Bit more about the Muster Rolls, which end in 1851.
    https://www.hullhistorycentre.org.uk/...ter-rolls.aspx
    https://catalogue.hullhistorycentre.o...ab=description

Pam
    Thank you very much indeed. I'll have a look.
    I knew you lot wouldn't let me down!

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    The Britiish Newspaper Archive and FMP have several reports in newspapers dated between 29 September and 5 October 1853 of a ship, the Camerton which traded between Hull and Rotterdam, sinking and all hands except Captain Cross, the second mate, and Henry Jubb, a seaman, were saved.

When you can access Hull library/archives have a browse through the local papers. Bound to be more details if it was a local ship with local men on board.

Pam
    Oh Pam, thank you very much for looking into this for me. I honestly just didn't know where to start apart from the National Archives site. I have a lot more to go on now and will see what I can find armed with this information and the other stuff you have posted.
    Again, thank you very much.
    Jill

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post

thank you for this. I did a search on FMP but nothing came up. I will look at this again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast