Default David Crowfoot born 1739 in Norfolk

Hi,

I am trying to find the regiment of my ancestor born in 1739. I cannot read the screenshot which says his regiment of foot ....

Consequently I am looking 1760 to 1790 and I thought for 1751-1782 either 9th East Norfolk or 12th Suffolk regiment

Where should I be looking please? Is there a military forum? Better still can anyone read the regiment number from the screenshot?

Thank you for any insights please

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I searched unsuccessfully on FMP and Ancestry so you obviously found a record for David elsewhere. (The National Archives?)
    Did you find the 'screenshot' on a site which we can freely access? If so, tell us the details so we can have a look. Alternatively, you will need to upload the screenshot to the forum using the following instructions.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...ht=#post683036

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

Can you please tell us the full details (name of child, parent(s), place & date, and also where you found it so we can look at the full page. Thanks

Meant to also say, from the snip it looks like the fifth regiment of foot. The first F (uppercase) is the same as the F in [Regiment of] 'Foot', and the second (lowercase) f is the same as the one in Crowfoot.

I downloaded that image and it is wider than what appears above. Before "fifth" I think is the word "twenty" (or possibly even "thirty" !)

is the image from a marriage document? it seems to continue

... Sarah Ellen Singleton (?) a widow residing in the parish of Earls .....?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    is the image from a marriage document? it seems to continue

... Sarah Ellen Singleton (?) a widow residing in the parish of Earls .....
    Who's a clever wimsey? (Again. )
    From Norfolk Banns and Marriages dataset on FMP, there's a different image but it's sightly clearer and says David Crowfoot, of this parish, single man, and Sarah ALLEN of this parish likewise single woman. married in this church by banns 6 October 1760. The church in question being Earsham. Earsham is just inside the Norfolk boundary, it's present day postal town being Bungay, which is in Suffolk.

ADDED:
    FMP also have a transcription, used by permission of FamilySearch, which says the marriage took place in Alburgh. No, it didn't. Was definitely in Earsham because I checked the first pages of the PR where the parish name is listed.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thank you, I believe the screenshot is taken from a settlement examination record in the Norfolk Records Office which says Sarah. wife of David Crowfoot, a soldier abroad, and David Crowfoot Allen, her illegitimate son

Sarah married David in Earsham on 6th Oct 1760

https://nrocat.norfolk.gov.uk/DServe/...crowfoot%27%29

I've looked at the full document now too, and I don't think its a marriage but a settlement examination or similar. The bit I can see I read as:

"examination of the wife of David Crowfoot a soldier in His Majesty's twenty(?) fifth Regiment of Foot now abroad (?)formerly Sarah Allen singlewoman and now residing in the Parish of Earsham"

ADDED: Posts just crossed!