Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default death in new york

if anyone can help me on this it would be much appreciated i have an ancestor name elijah webb from wolverhampton born 13/7/1837, in 1850 he was sent over too the usa new york too stop with an uncle name titus webb & aunt name catherine webb anyway on the 7/7/1852 there was a tragic accident in new york a ship hit a bridge and a lot of people were killed young elijah was one of the casualties he fell from the bridge and drowned what im really trying too find out is was he buried in new york and possibly find out wich cemetery thanks in advance

Have you seen the letter in the Southern Reporter and Cork Commercial Courier of 10 Aug 1852? It suggests that the "body of a lad apparently not more than 16 years of age" found on the beach might be the same as the Elijah Webb born 1837 in Wolverhampton, arrived New York on the Yorktown and might be one of the victims of the bridge calamity... There is more info in the article.
    This suggests that his death might have originally been registered as "unidentified".

If you can find the New York report of the actual event, it may say where unidentified bodies were buried... Or whether there was an inquest.

See -Chronicling America Newspapers which give details of what Elijah was wearing plus other information. The Coroner Randolph, Quarantine, Staten Island requested further information on Elijah. New York Daily Tribune Page 7 Image 7 July 12,1852.

You might want to look on the FindaGrave site and also for further newspaper articles in New York. Depending on Elijah's religion there maybe New York Cemetery records which have data.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Elijah is mentioned in posts 2, 3, 13, 14, and 22 of this thread
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...arriage-in-usa

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

hi lesley thanks for taking a look where can i view the letter in the southern reporter and cork commercial courier would love too see the article

thanks for helping phillip will see if i can take a look on findagrave

Quote Originally Posted by kev1965 View Post
    hi lesley thanks for taking a look where can i view the letter in the southern reporter and cork commercial courier would love too see the article
    I know I'm not Lesley, but that newspaper report is available on the British Newspaper Archive and Findmypast. Basically a copy of what was written in the New York Sunday Times on 11 July. Which in turn is a slightly shortened version of three other reports. See post number 12 by helachau of your Titus Webb thread for the link, and search for Elijah Webb and scroll down till you see results which say '71%'.

Similar report in the Morning Advertiser (published in London) 5 August 1852.

Can't remember where Titus was living circa 1852 but you could try the graveyard local to him.

Am I correct in thinking that Findagrave only show results if there is a headstone?

ADDED:
    No Wolverhampton area newspapers are online but Wolverhampton library/archives should have copies so I'd browse the papers dated after Elijah's body had been found to see if there's a mention of him and where he might be buried. Might only be a few lines, but they could be vital ones.

Seems as if Elijah was the son of Elijah and Esther. Baptism details and PR image available on Staffordshire baptisms dataset on FMP.

1841 living in Wolverhampton. Census reference HO107/999/10 folio 36 page 26.

1851 father Elijah (widower) and two of his sons living in Kingswinford.Census reference HO107/2036 folio 209 page 1.

1861 father Elijah with second wife Mary (possibly Mary Tranter, married 1854) living in Wolverhampton. Census reference RG9/1995 folio 13 page 19.

Pam

An earlier thread about Elijah.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...ork?highlight=

(Admittedly a lot more information has come online in the intervening ten years.)

Pam

hi pam thank you so much for your help theres lots of info there too help me im gonna try & track down those newspapers you mentioned would love too see the actual piece abt elijah