Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default CECILY FIEDLER &Dau. CAROLINA DOLORES FIEDLER

My BRICK WALL is the following....I am trying to Locate a CECILY FIEDLER (& her daughter, CAROLINA DOLORES FIEDLER), of Letchmore Heath, Hertfordshire, and /or of FULHAM, LONDON, England. (This last name is FIED-Ler, NOT FIELD-er...though often mis-spelled in records!!)

In the 1911 UK Census one can see CECILY as wife of REGINALD FIEDLER, along with their 2 yr.old daughter, CAROLINA DOLORES FIEDLER.

I know the UK 1921 Census won't be viewable 'til next year, but wondered if anyone out there has some Other record ideas to search for, that may show Cecily & Carolina.

Reginald dies around 1926, can't recall exact date. He died in Bengal territory (actually was in Myanmar), under his name change to that of Reginald Rhoddis-West. He was in Mining(Gold, etc.),which had him traveling to places like Uganda, in 1919, Spain, where his daughter (Carolina Dolores Fiedler)was born, in 1909, etc.

Wondered if anyone had any ideas for me to find his wife Cecily Fiedler w/ her little girl Carolina Dolores Fiedler, after 1911, especially after mid-1920s, once her husband was deceased. She might have returned to where she was born & had family,in Letchmore Heath, Hertfordshire.

There is a strange bit. In 1919, I believe there is a record showing a marriage for Reginald, to a Miss Harriet ANDREWS, which is obviously different from his wife named CECILY. However there are many TREES online (for example, at Ancestry.com) that show Reginald's wife's name as either CECILY HARRIET ANDREWS, or HARRIET CECILY ANDREWS.

I'm not sure I buy this--as WHY would he Marry the mother of his child in 1919, when it shows Cecily as his wife in the 1911 Census--unless of course, they just "said" that, & just didn't get around to legalizing their union until 8 yrs. later?!

But maybe he had 2 wives--first, a Cecily, and 2nd, a Harriet? So it is a muddled bowl of soup, but perhaps if someone traced a Cecily/Harriet FIEDLER back to an ANDREWS Family in Letchmore Heath, Hertfordshire, one might Find her & daughter Carolina there at a later date living with some Andrews? But I have no clue how to go about this, as no 1921 Census,yet,& haven't any other ideas of What is available out there for other types of records that might be looked for, to search through!

Any ideas or assistance, WELCOME!!
    Thank you kindly,
    Vienna Spencer

A fountain of knowledge

Hi Vienna
    you could try - absent voters list 1918-1919 or the 1939 register , if your people are still in the Uk at that time , I hope that helps
    Good luck
    Dean

Brick wall demolition expert!

If you look at the actual schedule of the 1911 census that says that Reginald has been married to Cecily for less than 1 year.

I can't spot a marriage for them in England except the one in 1919. For me iitvwould be worthwhile investing in a marriage certificate to see what it says.

If you have access to Ancestry you need to look at passenger lists.

I can see Reginald and Cecily arriving in 1912 in San Diego reroute to London, and then again arriving in 122 in Southampton from Rangoon this time as Mr & Mrs R L Rheddis West again without Carolina.

Cecily was granted probate of Reginalds estate so it's worth getting a copy of his will.

Cecily became a mid wife in 1927 and died 17 Dec 1931 under the name Harriet West Rhoddis. Her probate entry says Harriet otherwise Cecelia. Again there is no mention of her daughter. Her will might throw some light on that.
    https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

I believe that Reginald Leopold Fiedler descended from Prussian Jews. The earler line is Julius Henry Fielder who married Caroline Solomons eldest daughter of Mr A Solomons - the early line appear in the Jewish Chronicle Archives 1842.
    See The London Gazette 14 December 1917 -change of name Reginald Leopold Fiedler to Reginald Leopold Rhoddis- West residing Nabardi Mines Number Six Station Sudan.

I have not looked further at the lines but the above data may help other researchers and given WW1 may help to explain the surname change.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

I don't want to 'muddy the waters' regarding the original post by Vienna but am aware she had posted on another site for information on the Fiedler. See - JewishGen UK Data base -Julius Henry Fiedler Carpet and Leather Bag Maker 43 Watling Street EC PO London 1865

See Synagogue Scribes Records- NSB F004
    Jeannette FIEDLER ( Hebrew name Yetla) born April 12 1858 Address Kew father JULIUS Hebrew name Yehuda b ( adj) Tsebi

Islington Jews Data Base
    CAROLINE FIEDLER -New/Hambro Synagogue born 1819 Death/Burial 1897- Spouse JULIUS HENRY FIEDLER

There are numbers of Fiedler recorded on JewishGen data bases and Family trees- I have not investigated these further.

Famous for offering help & advice

On the 1911 census Carolina is 2 months old not 2 yrs.Born Spain,British subject.

Vienna
    I think I have solved the questions regarding Harriet aka Cecilia and her death.
    First of all here is the Probate for Reginald Leopold West aka Reginald Leopold Roddes- West.

Please note his address for Probate as 288 Sandycombe Road Kew Gardens Surrey:
    288 Sandycombe Road Kew Gardens Surrey died 21 March 1926 Rangoon Burmah Probate to HARRIET RHODDIS-WEST widow Effects £1128.4.4d

See then
    Probate
    HARRIET RHODDIS -WEST otherwise CECILIA 288 SANDYCOMBE ROAD KEW GARDENS SURREY
    Widow died 17 December 1931 at 25 Leinster Square Bayswater Middlesex Probate to Mark Chrlton NAYLOR Gentleman and Ada NORTH widow Effects £2020.18s 10d

It looks from the Probate that Cecilia aka Cecily is Harriet. She did not survive the death of Reginald for very many years and it appears stayed at the same address as Reginald in Surrey.

What happened to Carolina Dolores remains to be resolved.

The GRO Marriage Record for Reginald L RHODDIS-WEST April qtr 1919 Richmond South Surrey 2a 1463.
    To HARRIET ANDREWS

It would be worth getting a copy of the Marriage Certificate to show who Harriet's father was and where she was living.

Why they are together in 1911 and why they waited a number of years before they married is currently not known.

From my earlier researches into Anglo Jewish families I think I have seen the 25 Leinster Square Bayswater address for where Harriet died and the NAYLOR name rings a bell. I will look further.

The London Electoral Rolls have:
    1929 HARRIET RHODDI WEST Living at 51/53 NORFOLK SQUARE HYDE PARK WARD PADDINGTON.

This record suggests that for whatever reason she had moved out of 288 Sandycombe Road Kew Gardens Surrey but this was also her address in the 1931Probate record with 25 Leinster Square address for her place of death which maybe a nursing home. Her GRO Death Certificate should confirm this plus who was the informant/present at the time of death.

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Dean C...sorry was away / offline for a week--so just NOW saw everyone's kind responses! I will have a look into the 1918-19 absent voter's list, as well as the 1939 Register! Smart ideas--thx again for your contribution!
    Vienna

Starting to feel at home

Megan,

Wow-thx for all the info. Just need a "clarification"....you wrote, "And then again arriving "in 122" in Southampton from Rangoon this time as Mr & Mrs R L Rheddis West again without Carolina." Does the "in 122" mean in 1922 or in 19_2? What year was the typo Meant to be? I do typos All the time! Or rather my "computer" does, as it just Couldn't be "me", right? : )
    Thank you again for all you dug-up! Very interesting! Also very Odd, eh, that "If you look at the actual schedule of the 1911 census that says that Reginald has been married to Cecily for less than 1 year." IF THEY HAD been Married then WHY does he marry her(again?)in 1918? Maybe they were just living together but said they were married to keep society off their backs, since in those days it would Not have been looked kindly upon (i.e.-living in sin). So many questions...but I DO Love a MYSTERY! Sorry for delay in replying--only just Now saw all the responses, as was away / offline. Take Care, Vienna

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast