Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

P.S. Megan....Where you stated: "I can see Reginald and Cecily arriving in 1912 in San Diego reroute (enroute?) to London".....where did you see this? Could you copy /paste the info in that record, herein, so I might view the info listed? Not to worry if that's a problem, just wondered if possible....thx : )
    Vienna

Starting to feel at home

Dear Phillip,

Yes you are absolutely correct. Reginald, son of James Leopold Fiedler, was himself (James) was son of Julius Henry Fiedler and Caroline Solomons--my great-great-grandparents. Yes I am aware they were Jewish. Julius was from Posen, PRUSSIA (now, Poznan, POLAND) He was b. there 1819, emigrated to London, England, circa 1839, then married Caroline c. 1840/41. They were both of very elevated (in society) Jewish families. Very successful, in life & business, and were prominent enough to be allowed to worship at, and be married within the Great Synagogue of London. Julius had his own Carpetbag manufacturing and Sales business. He and Caroline owned 2 houses, one in London, one on the continent, in Prussia, both w/ numerous servants. So I do Have ALL the backstory. My paternal grandma, was Laura nee Fiedler, her father was Alfred Fiedler, son of Julius & Caroline and brother to James Leopold Fiedler who was the father of Reginald L. Fiedler / Rhoddis-West. Interesting you say that "the early line appear in the Jewish Chronicle Archives 1842". Thanks I am retrieving that info, now. As far as Reginald's surname change, from what I was told w/in our family--Reginald may have had a conflict w/ his father (although maybe anti-semitism of the times may also have played-into his desire to lose the Fiedler surname). He honored his mother, though, as West was her maiden name. Thank you for your kind contribution & the time/effort you spent on it all! Sincerely, Vienna Spencer

Starting to feel at home

Thank you, again, Phillip! Always good to have more info, as it's in the "details" we discover our "stories"! Many thanks for you additional "snooping" (and "finds"!) : ) Vienna

Starting to feel at home

Hi Pamela,
    Actually the baby, Carolina Dolores Fiedler IS 2 YEARS Old not 2 months, on the 1911 Census--here's the detailed read-out for her: Name:
    Carolina Dolores Fiedler
    Event Type:
    Census
    Event Date:
    Event Place:
    Fulham, London, England, United Kingdom
    County:
    London
    Parish:
    Fulham
    Sub-District:
    South Fulham
    Sub-District Number:
    District Number:
    Enumeration District:
    Registration District:
    Fulham
    Number in Family:
    Birth Year (Estimated):
    Birthplace:
    Spain
    Relationship to Head of Household:
    Daughter
    Schedule Type:
    Page Number:
    Registration Number:
    RG14
    Piece/Folio:
    Affiliate Record Identifier:
    GBC/1911/RG14/00344/0381/4
    Showing her born in 1909, in Spain, so by 1911 in England on that Census, she IS 2 Years of age. Maybe your eye mis-read a line. Again "I" do that stuff all the time! Take Care, Vienna

Starting to feel at home

I raise my glass in Salute to you, excellent researcher, Phillip! Ok so thanks to you, we Now know for certain that CECILY & HARRIET Are 1-in-the-Same person!! Yey!! KUDOS to You, kiddo! : )
    Vienna
    P.S.-Yes, agreed--would be good to get copy of her marriage certificate to Reginald. And getting her parents' name could assist in locating the correct ANDREWS family in Letchmore Heath, Hertfordshire....in case Cecily & Reginald's daughter went to live w/ them, her maternal grandparents(in earlier years?).

Starting to feel at home

Many thanks, once more, Phillip! Yes I will attempt to retrieve Cecily/Harriet's death certificate, as could give much more info--depending on what the info-provider themselves actually knew!
    Bye for now,
    Vienna

Starting to feel at home

Hmm I wonder if Reginald & Cecily / Harriet were married in another country (Spain, or elsewhere), but felt it would be better, later in 1918/19 to again marry in England, to make their marriage more "legit"--esp. to protect Cecily/Harriet's inheritance should Reginald pre-decease her (as he did)? Just wondering aloud....

Happy to support your research Vienna. I do have full access to the Jewish Chronicle so can post any relevant data if required. In addition, Doreen Berger in her publication The Jewish Victorian.Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1871-1880 Published 1999 Robert Boyd has data on Edward Fiedler-marriage 26.8.1874 at Synagogue Plymouth fourth son of Julius Henry Fiedler St George's Terrace Dalston Rise London to Pauline eldest daughter of E BASCH Esq. Berger lists several births and deaths following the marriage- a daughter born 14.6.1875 at 6 Napier Terrace Dalston Lane and the death ETHEL ELIZABETH aged 3 weeks. Birth a son 17.4.1878 and death 9.8.1878 at Devonshire House Richmond LEOPOLD aged 4 months
    Birth a son 30.6.1879 at Devonshire House Richmond

Marriage
    AUGUSTA FIEDLER 31.3.1875 at the Central Synagogue second daughter of Mr J H Fiedler 3 St.Georges Terrace The Rise Dalston to J L PULVERMACHER Esq of Windmill House Hampstead

I have posted this data to support other researchers who may have the same names on their family trees.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Starting to feel at home

Hi again, Megan!
    Just wondered abt something you wrote---i.e.-where you said:
    "I can see Reginald and Cecily arriving in 1912 in San Diego reroute to London".....WHERE Are you seeing this? I'd Love to view it, too!! : )
    Let me know, thx!
    Vienna

Starting to feel at home

Thank you kindly, Phillip. Interesting, although very sad, to see the children of Edward (son of Julius) who m. Pauline Basch. I actually know of All the children of All of Julius & Caroline FIEDLER's 9 children--as have done extensive research on them...However I did NOT Know of the babies that died so very young. So sad. But they did exist, so it's good to know of them, their names, dates of birth / death, in order to honor their short lives. So thank you for posting this information. In case anyone interested Augusta Fiedler who married Mr. PULVERMACHER--he actually wasn't J (should be an "I") L Pulvermacher, but was Mr. Isaac Lewis Pulvermacher. Isaac was a physicist and inventor originally concerned with the electric telegraph. He became famous for the the "Pulvermacher hydro-electric chain", aka "Pulvermacher's galvanic chain" or electric belt. It was widely reported as a useful source of electricity for medical and scientific purposes. It was a useful source of portable electricity and could be used for treating patients with some forms of paralysis in their homes. Anyway just thought I'd post a bit more on Augusta Fiedler's husband & for what he was known.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast