Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold Blow, Kent

Mortlake, London (where the Boat Race ends)

Default Cold Blow, Kent

Is there anyone out there familiar with the area known as Cold Blow... or does anyone have access to any local history books that would cover that area?

According to the 1913 Kelly's Directory, our infamous and elusive Walter Hungerford lived at 'Dachurst, Cold Blow'.

We understand there was previously a manor house not a million miles from Cold Blow (what a name!) known as Dachurst Manor. We assume Walter didn't live in the manor, but in a house perhaps named after the manor???

Can anyone enlighten us please?

Default Coldblow

Quote Originally Posted by Lindad
    Is there anyone out there familiar with the area known as Cold Blow... or does anyone have access to any local history books that would cover that area?

According to the 1913 Kelly's Directory, our infamous and elusive Walter Hungerford lived at 'Dachurst, Cold Blow'.

We understand there was previously a manor house not a million miles from Cold Blow (what a name!) known as Dachurst Manor. We assume Walter didn't live in the manor, but in a house perhaps named after the manor???

Dredging back into my memory recalled that there was a Coldblow Lane between New Cross and Lewisham. That is still there with the post code SE 14. In the Lewisham area there is a Dacre House which was in Brandram Road and nearby there is Dacre Park. Now Coldblow Lane is possibly a mile or a little more to this area, so perchance there is some connection.
    All this area of course was in the county of Kent in days gone by.

My history of Lewisham does not mention Coldblow as such but... Then again it could be another place entirely.

Cheers..Ed

AnnB

I don't know if you have had a Google, but I found https://www.coldblow-camping.co.uk/ which may or may not have something to do with 'your' Cold Blow

There is also https://www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/Re...N/A/01/01C.htm which gives the location of several Cold Blow/Coldblow's Obviously a popular place name in Kent.......!

Best wishes
    Ann

Reputation beyond repute

London Borough of Bexley, is that right?

Perhaps try Bexley Archives:

https://www.bexley.gov.uk/service/lib-localstudies.html

Dachurst Manor appears to have been elsewhere and may have been a synonym for Hildenborough Manor (see National Archives catalogue).

Mortlake, London (where the Boat Race ends)

Smile Thanks!

Many thanks everyone! I think the Bexley link is the one we are looking for. Walter is listed as a 'Private Resident' in the 'Bexley with Blendon, Bridgen and Hurst' area. Will pursue this further via the Bexley Archives!

I get so confused with these areas which were Kent or Essex but which have now been sucked into the general sprawl of London. At some point I need to get to grips with this corner of London/Kent as a LOT of our lot ended up there - but somehow spending a weekend there with map and notebook in hand doesn't hold quite as much appeal as getting to grips with their roots in rural Wiltshire, Oxfordshire, Northamptonshire, Ireland...

Reputation beyond repute

Tracking down the records can be a bit challenging.

As a broad generalisation, most records for the the metropolitan area are at the LMA. But to confuse the issue, Bromley, Bexley, Lewisham and Greenwich Archives / Local Studies have some records from their localities. However, many parish registers have been filmed and may be available elsewhere. This may not apply if you're after the less in-demand parish records eg parish chest stuff.

bob the builder 2

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Lindad View Post

Hi Coldblow is situated near the villages of Detling and Thurnham Maidstone .It was an area used for a nato forward scatter station during the cold war not now in use .Reason for the name it is on top of the hill and is in line with medway estuary .Hope this helps

bob the builder 2

Smile Coldblow

Coldblow is on top of a hill in a place called thurnham nr Maidstone .it was a forward scatter station for nuclear attack in the cold war era .There were large golf ball scanning similiar to Fylingdale in Yorkshire .It is now a radar post for aircraft entering and leaving the UK ,Hope this helps

Mutley

Lindad, seeing as this is an old thread you probably have found the information by now.

Many thanks everyone! I think the Bexley link is the one we are looking for. Walter is listed as a 'Private Resident' in the 'Bexley with Blendon, Bridgen and Hurst' area. Will pursue this further via the Bexley Archives!
    However, for what it is worth, Coldblow Crescent, Bridgen Road, Hurst Road and Blendon Road are all in 5 minutes walking distance from Bexley High Street.

I cannot find a 'Dachurst' but there were many big old houses in the area before the large housing estates were built after the war.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast