Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold Blow, Kent

Reputation beyond repute

Haven't we done with this one?

The Coldblow area of Bexley is marked on streetmap.

https://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap...173750&A=Y&Z=3

A little way north of Coldblow is Hall Place, an Tudor mansion that may or may not be relevant.

Maypoleman

Default Cold Blow

Hi,

There is an area on the outskirts of Bexley, Kent called Coldblow. Please visit the following site for further details of the history of the area maypolehistory.wetpaint.com I hope this will be of interest and assist you. This site is not a commercial site and deos not seek or receive remuneration. Maypoleman.

Mutley

Welcome to the forum Maypoleman.

As a resident of JW for about 20 years from 1980 I found the site quite interesting, especially the earlier memories.
    I hope it is of help to others.

Mortlake, London (where the Boat Race ends)

Thumbs up Thank you!

Amazing to see how this thread keeps coming to the top of the pile! ;-)

Thanks so much everyone, but I think we've got Walter and Cold Blow sorted now! Really appreciated all the help though.

Maypoleman

Default Did you find success

Unless my eyes are getting dim and do not see the obvious (my wife will confirm I can never find things staring me in the face!) are you able to tell us if you were successful and what the result was ?

Kindest regards

Maypoleman

Reputation beyond repute

Well we know that Dachurst, Cold Blow was in Bexley [source: CWGC, see the death of Arthur Ernest Willis in 1918].

Getting a bit closer, we also know that Dachurst was in Wansunt Road, Bexley [source: Bexley Borough Council Planning Applications, 1939]

Jason Hails

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Lindad, seeing as this is an old thread you probably have found the information by now.

However, for what it is worth, Coldblow Crescent, Bridgen Road, Hurst Road and Blendon Road are all in 5 minutes walking distance from Bexley High Street.

I cannot find a 'Dachurst' but there were many big old houses in the area before the large housing estates were built after the war.
    I lived with my family at "Dachurst" 6 Wanshunt Road Bexley from 1954 until 1959. The house was demolished soon after we moved and a number of houses built on the site.

It was situated on the corner of Wanshunt Road and Heath Road. I am afraid I do not have any details of who lived there before us but seem to recall that my parents told me it was a family who had returned from East Africa

The area around Wanshunt Road was known as Cold Blow and is marked on old 25 inch to the mile maps as such.

Mutley

Welcome to the forum Jason,
    you will find many threads that involve the Kentish area you lived in.

I hope we can also help you with your research.

Mortlake, London (where the Boat Race ends)

Red face Oh wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hails View Post
    I lived with my family at "Dachurst" 6 Wanshunt Road Bexley from 1954 until 1959. The house was demolished soon after we moved and a number of houses built on the site.

It was situated on the corner of Wanshunt Road and Heath Road. I am afraid I do not have any details of who lived there before us but seem to recall that my parents told me it was a family who had returned from East Africa

The area around Wanshunt Road was known as Cold Blow and is marked on old 25 inch to the mile maps as such.
    Jason, thank you so much! It's amazing to know that you actually lived in 'our' house!! Our Walter Hungerford lived there in 1913, so way before you, and he probably wasn't there for very long. His story is a long and convoluted one... and, suffice to say, in 1913 he should have been living elsewhere! Whether he owned or rented the whole house, or just a room or two, we will probably never know.

However, now you've whetted our appetite, we'd love to know more! Could you tell us how big the house was? How many rooms it had? I suppose you don't have any photographs of it? (We're probably being greedy now... )

Many thanks again!

Linda

Famous for offering help & advice

Another SUCCESS story! Just goes to show that being patient pays off in the long run!

Sue

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast