Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    First (and, in truth, the only thing ) which springs to mind is - have you checked the British Newspaper Archive (also mainly available on Findmypast)? I haven't checked for local and national coverage for the dates you're looking at.
    Obviously the newspapers are unlikely to give any regimental history but they might give you names.

Pam
    Hi Pam
    Thanks for your reply.
    Yes have done the newspaper route, found a total of 11 Reports including Books, where this was reported.
    The Captain, Lieutenant, Ensign and 3 Sergeants were named in one of the newspapers. Captain Dawson was mentioned in most reports, but no other names.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    I'm guessing you will be aware of (or even the author of) this piece about McDouall's marriage to Tregent

https://www.essexrecordofficeblog.co.uk/tag/war/

likewise I'm sure you will have seen this pdf version of a history of the regiment which gives a tiny bit of detail of what they were doing in 1806 and 1808

https://electricscotland.com/history...00grearich.pdf

looks like that essex record office link might not work (why?) in which case try this and scroll down to "Married by Licence"

https://www.essexrecordofficeblog.co.uk/2016/01/
    Hi Wimsey, Thanks for your reply.

Yes am aware of the Marriage Licence Document at the Essex Record Office. No I am not the author, but did get them to correct the document as they had an error with the dates, now corrected.

Yes am aware of the Book, History of the Cameron Highlanders, have downloaded PDF copy. Good source of reference, but only a few lines on the actual incident.

Thanks
    Richard

findmypast has a record for Samuel McDouall being promoted to "Deputy Assistant Commissary-General to the Forces" on 5 September 1814
    Hi Wimsey

Thanks for that.
    No, I am not aware of that so will follow it up. I have some thoughts on that, so may well come back to you on this one.
    Thanks
    Richard

on findmypast - if I go to parish burials, put 1807 as year of death and use the data collection Essex Burial Index 1530-1994 and put "79th" in the Optional Keywords box I get 23 results and they all have Weeley as location

if I don't specify the data collection, leave 79th in keywords and put Weeley as location I get the same 23 results
    Hi Wimsey

That is interesting, have not tried that route.
    I will follow that up, thanks.

Thanks
    Richard

of course even though they are 1807 they may well be deaths unconnected to the ship sinking
    I am fairly sure they will NOT be connected with the disaster, as the majority were buried at Landguard Fort, in the Fort's Burial Ground, so Burial should have been in the Fort's Register, which has vanished. However I am still interested in what you have found and will be investigating.
    I have spent some time on Find my Past, but have missed your trick, so we learn something every day.

Thanks
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Have you asked the Cameron Highlanders Museum? They have an archive.
    Thehighlandersmuseum.com
    Hi Lesley

I was not aware of the Highlanders Museum, so will be following that up.

Many thanks
    Richard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12