Starting to feel at home

Default Arbroath parish burial 1839

Hi, can someone advise me on where to look for Isabella's grave site, would Arbroath Abbey cemetery be a likely spot ?

Isabella Woodham wife of Lieut. William Henry Woodham born 1801 died 30 March 1839 age 38yrs at Arbroath Forfashire (Angus) county parish burial

thanks for any help
    Tracey (NZ)

I would start with the local newspapers for a funeral announcement.
    Do you know where she was living at the time of her death?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by NZTracey View Post
    Hi, can someone advise me on where to look for Isabella's grave site, would Arbroath Abbey cemetery be a likely spot ?

Isabella Woodham wife of Lieut. William Henry Woodham born 1801 died 30 March 1839 age 38yrs at Arbroath Forfashire (Angus) county parish burial

thanks for any help
    Tracey (NZ)
    Is the bit in bold an actual quote from an online site, and if so, which one? And also, have you given the correct date?
    I've allegedly searched the newspapers on FMP and the records on Scotlandspeople for 1839 without success.

ADDED;
    Done a little more digging. Main details from FMP, in a dataset called Scotland, Dundee & Forfarshire (Angus) Deaths & Burials 1562-1855 though the transcript on FMP doesn't give husband's forename.
    Regarding the dataset, in the 'more details' section, FMP says
    This collection of parish death and burials records from Dundee and Forfarshire (Angus) are from the Established Church (Church of Scotland) before the introduction of civil registration in 1855.
    https://
    search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/scotland-dundee-and-forfarshire-angus-deaths-and-burials-1562-1855

In which case, why is Isabella not in the records on Scotlandspeople?
    Back to that site, inputting the most basic details - Isabella, death/burial 1839, Arbroath.
    Hey presto - result!
    Well, two actually indexed, but both with the same reference number.
    One under the surname Lauet, and the other under the surname Woodhous, so there's been some serious mistranscribing going on.
    If you want to know exactly where Isabella is buried, Tracey, you have no feasible option other than to buy credits and then download the entry from Scotlandspeople. (The non-feasible, and many thousand-times more expensive, option being to travel to Edinburgh to view the record in person. )

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Women In Scots records are generally indexed by maiden and married names when available, but that relies on the family knowing both, and the clerk writing correctly.

I have the SGS MI transcriptions for Angus, and you were right - she and her husband are buried in the Arbroath Abbey Kirkyard. They don’t give full transcriptions, just names, places and dates:

“Lieut Will Woodhall RN, w. Isobella d. Auchtermithie 30 Mar 1839, age 38”.

I read that as her being buried there, she’s the only Woodhall in the index, so he isn’t there. I THINK that they mean the parish of Auchtermuchty, but I’ll double check that wasn’t a residence (eg a farm) smaller than a parish.

I’ve had a look through the rest of the Angus Seacoast MIs, and Isabella is the only one. I wonder whether William was away at the time - if their family members were not around at the time, that would explain why nobody knew her MS to put it on the stone.