Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Assistance in dating a photo

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone help me to narrow down a possible date or maybe even location for this photo. It's a tintype photo (I don't have it myself...it's with a 4th cousin of mine), however, I have become aware that some older format photographs did get reprinted onto tintypes. So that doesn't really rule out much of anything from 1840 to 1910 or so.

I have some hints as to dates, but I have someone specific that I want it to be, so I don't trust my judgement.

I believe his facial hair is an imperial style. The boots appear to be Wellingtons, which I understand had gone out of style by 1860. The watch chain and fob may be Regency based on the longer bars with the small "hinge" pieces between. The full length photo suggests an older style. I'm not confident dating his jacket and shirt style. I believe that he has a backdrop behind him rather than an actual staircase, but I haven't found any other photos using that backdrop. I can't for the life of me find a slope back upholstered chair that uses bells in place of tassels. The cheek colouration doesn't specifically indicate a time period.

Anyone have anything that they can add that might assist? Many thanks in advance.

https://ibb.co/n8MqKgz

Brick wall demolition expert!

He looks to me like someone from the American Civil war or from Custer era of the Wild West!

That would cover the 1860s and 1870s.

Not necessarily a rational response but that's how he strikes me.

Using this site I think the mid 1800's?
    Square toed shoes, 3/4 length jacket, watch chain, wide sleeves, curtain behind him and holding a prop (the chair)
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Using this site I think the mid 1800's?
    Square toed shoes, 3/4 length jacket, watch chain, wide sleeves, curtain behind him and holding a prop (the chair)
    Christina

Thanks for the link, Christina. I had never noticed the base of the posing stand behind him. That's a pretty good giveaway there. Much appreciated.