Knowledgeable and helpful

Default John Winter. Carmarthen Militia/ Devon Regt.

According to his discharge certificate, 3281 Gnr Winter,John, ( b 20 August 1879) served in the Carmarthen (RGA) Militia between 29 March 1905 and 31 May 1908. "Granted f** under para 59, Special Army Order 23/12/07.". Total service in Militia 9 years 64 days.

I am aware that the A O relates to the abolition of the militia and the creation of the Special Reserve. Is there any evidence that John Winter transferred into the Special Reserve?

It is apparent that he had service prior to enlisting in the Carmarthen unit. Is there any record of this.

During the First World War he served as 14178 Pte Winter, John, in 9th Batt. Devonshire Regt. I have his MIC but assume his service is amongst those lost. I would welcome any additional information of his military career.

https://newspapers.library.wales/vie...65/3348670/75/

How stiff was the competition for the limited number of places in the new unit?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

His record states
    "Discharged 31-5-08" (when the Carmarthen Militia was wound up)
    "Claimed free discharge under para 59. special A 6 23/12/07" - does this sound like someone ready to commit himself to a further period under arms? The Territorial and Reserve Forces Act had received Royal Assent earlier that year. Could para 59 refer to a provision in that Act?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

The Carmarthen Garrison Artillery did become a Field Artillery after May 1908, first thoughts of an Age or Fitness problem could be the reason he discharged, but if he fought in WW1 maybe not.

1902 Carmarthen RGA (Militia)
    1908.05.31 Carmarthen Royal Field Reserve Artillery
    1909.10.21 disbanded
    Keith

A fountain of knowledge

Hi
    this may have more information , if you can get them to look for you .
    Carmarthen Royal Garrison Artillery militia attestations, 1882-1912
    www.torontopubliclibrary.ca

Toronto Reference Library
    Reference Hum & Soc Sci 2nd Fl Reference Local History & Genealogy In Library FILM F C2869

Dean

A fountain of knowledge

Hi
    another possible that may have information about the 'transfer' and may have an individual record/ of John . they were very good when I was researching my Grandfather , Ernest Coles MM 2nd Devons , they have an excellent archive facility .
    The keep museum in Dorchester
    Telephone +44 (0)1305 264066
    [email protected]
    Have a look at their web site

Dean

Knowledgeable and helpful

I submitted my original post more in hope than expectation so I am thrilled at the responses I have received which have not only provided additional information but also identified areas for further research. Thank you all very much.
    The fact that John "claimed free discharge" suggests that he had an element of choice in respect of transferring to a new unit. He married in 1906 and by 1908 had two children with a third on the way. His wife was then 22 and it seems possible that his domestic situation may have influenced his decision