Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default George James Borraston

Good afternoon everyone.

I need help please.
    I have tried familysearch.org; findmypast; ancestry; google.

I am trying to confirm date an place of birth plus parents and their details

This is what I have:

George James Borraston (aka Boraston; aka Barraston)
    born 1850? Reading Berkshire (according to Aust. marriage cert)
    parents: TC Borraston and Esther Morris

I have tried searching for a Borraston/Boraston/Barraston who married an Esther Morris(also just Morris as a surname) no luck

Tried George James with mother Esther, with mother Morris no luck

George James married Susan Elizabeth Bushby 1873 Bathurst nsw.

any help would be most appreciated.
    Doreenh

That’s well within the BMD certificate range for England, so suspect that the problem Is possibly a spelling variation of some sort. It might be worth spending a little time playing with more of them. For Example, Esther often turns up as Hester. Remember that local accents can play a part, especially if the Minister came from elsewhere. I’d check Borreston, Borriston, etc.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Well this certainly a very big brickwall

I tried searching all records at Ancestry using just the surname BORRISTON,but not limiting it to exact spellings and got a number of alternative spellings including: BODDISON and BUNASTON. In none of these could I see any with first names that match your criteria.

In terms of a marriage for his parents there are a few possible explanations:
    They weren't married. They married outside of England and Wales. Esther had been previously married in which case the registration would be under her previous married name.

Have you found his death certificate ? I seem to recall that in Australia these include parents names?

I searched on ancestry using wildcards like this - b*r*st*n, first name George +/- 5 years, no birth place and amongst the results was a birth reg for a George Barnston 1853 registration district Reading. I found it on the GRO index with the mother's maiden name Meade so went back to FreeBMD to look for a marriage of a Barnston to a Meade - no results so looked for Meade alone then Barnston alone and still no likely contenders. I have to leave it for now but will do some follow up later today.
    Using the wild cards as I did gives some other variations to the surname.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Dear everyone
    yes indeed a brick wall. With regard to George's death cert. I havent been able to find a death.

This is a unusual family.

1st. George married Susan Bushby 1873 Bathurst. had the following children:
    Charles James born 1874 died 1875; Albert Thomas John born 1876 died 1877; George Edward Erneet born 1877 died 1877 and Francis James born 1895 died 1968.

during this time, Susan also had an affair with Hermann Gerald Hobleman
    with the folloiwng children register under her maiden name:
    Elizabeth Susan born 1881 died 1885; Helena born 1879 died 1919; Herman Gerald born 1882 die 1960; Martha born 1884 died 1966; Charlotte born1885; Bernard born 1886 die 1965; Emily Eileen born 1889; Mary born 1892.
    Then Susan married Alfred Samuel Hunt in 1896

Herman Hobleman died 1928. Susan died as Susan Hunt 1932.

regards
    Doreen

Famous for offering help & advice

This may be totally unconnected but Googling the names brought up an Esther Boraston from near Reading b around 1820 who arrived in Tasmania as a convict. She married a Thomas Charles Davenport in 1846. They had a number of children according to Tasmanian library database, tho I don't see a George. A James was born in 1848. There does seem to be a George James Salisbury Davenport but he may have different parents and I think married in Tasmania.

I know the surnames are wrong but I keep coming back to them. Could George have changed his name to his mother's for some reason?
    Do you have any more information about your George James Borraston?

Dear Grisel
    no. all I have for George James Salisbury Boreraston or George James Borraston whatever is found. The only info which may be right or wrong is his aust marriage cert to Susan, stating parents TC Borraston and Esther Morris and borth 1850 Reading Berkshire.

I have applied for the marriage cert of his only surviving son to see if anything is written on it about his dads death.
    regards
    Doreenh

A fountain of knowledge

Evening News (Sydney, NSW : 1869 - 1931)
    Thu 10 Dec 1891
    If my husband does not return six weeks from this date, 9 December, i intend to marry again. Mrs Susan Borraston, Bowral.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/111995053

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by DoreenH View Post
    Dear everyone
    yes indeed a brick wall. With regard to George's death cert. I havent been able to find a death.

This is a unusual family.

1st. George married Susan Bushby 1873 Bathurst. had the following children:
    Charles James born 1874 died 1875; Albert Thomas John born 1876 died 1877; George Edward Erneet born 1877 died 1877 and Francis James born 1895 died 1968.

Elizabeth Susan born 1881 died 1885; Helena born 1879 died 1919; Herman Gerald born 1882 die 1960; Martha born 1884 died 1966; Charlotte born1885; Bernard born 1886 die 1965; Emily Eileen born 1889; Mary born 1892.

Herman Hobleman died 1928. Susan died as Susan Hunt 1932.

regards
    Doreen
    Can you confirm Francis James birth please. Just a huge gap from previous child in 1877 to Francis in 1895.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by DoreenH View Post

Im not finding any of the above births in NSW, were they born elsewhere?
    There was a Helena born in 1879 but ...?

BUSHBY HELENA 976/1879 V1879976 161 FREDERICK SUSAN
    BUSHBY HELENA 976/1879 187900976 161 FREDERICK SUSAN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast