Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    This may be totally unconnected but Googling the names brought up an Esther Boraston from near Reading b around 1820 who arrived in Tasmania as a convict. She married a Thomas Charles Davenport in 1846. They had a number of children according to Tasmanian library database, tho I don't see a George. A James was born in 1848. There does seem to be a George James Salisbury Davenport but he may have different parents and I think married in Tasmania.

I know the surnames are wrong but I keep coming back to them. Could George have changed his name to his mother's for some reason?
    I keep coming back to this couple too. Thomas may be the Thomas Davenport convicted in 1838 (certificate of freedom 1845), and I think his parents may have been John Davenport & Esther Crowder.

I'm not sure if the James Sal(i)sbury Davenport who married Catherine Spriggs in Tasmania in 1870 is the same person as the James Davenport baptised to Thomas & Esther, but I don't see any children to James & Catherine. Did he then become 'bachelor' George James Salisbury Davenport to marry the widow Margaret Surcouf nee MacKey in 1878? He definitely drops the George on some of the birth records.

The gap between the 1870 & 1878 marriages also fits nicely with George James Borraston appearing & then disappearing.

The children found for George James Salisbury Davenport & Margaret Surcouf nee MacKey are Esther Maggie 1879 Tasmania, Male (unnamed)1881 Victoria & Margaret Sarah Isabella 1883 NSW, although there may be others.

James Salisbury Davenport died at Yarra Bend Lunatic Asylum on 22 Jul 1900, and there are memorial notices in 1903 & 1904 from "his loving wife and daughters. M.D., D.D., E.G., M.P."

Esther Maggie married Edwin Holland Goddard in 1900, so could possibly be the daughter E.G. mentioned above

There is a lunatic admission of a James Davenport to Ballarat and Sunbury institution on 5 Oct 1897, transferred to Yarra Bend Lunatic Asylum.

The inquest says he was 48 and born Tasmania. No middle name mentioned, but the date of death ties in with the death notice for James Salisbury Davenport. He had been admitted with general paralysis of the insane, which is generally related to syphilis, although the cause of death was given as disease of the brain, lungs & liver. Unfortunately there are no family details, and based on the index his death certificate doesn't provide any parent's details.

Looking again at the children of Thomas (aka Thomas Charles)Davenport & Esther Boraston, there are a couple of females with no name recorded, and also a Thomas Albert.

Its interesting that many of the 'Davenport' family forenames also appear in the names given to George James Borraston's children.

Meant to add:

1875 - Andre Robert Surcouf 34 married Margaret Isabella Mackey 23 - Hobart

1878 - Andrew Surcouf aged 37 died - Victoria

1878 - Margaret Surcouf (transcribed as Surcong, widow, married George James Salisbury Davenport - Hobart

Also to add that the unnamed 1881 male child of George/James & Sarah Davenport was Thomas Charles James Davenport. Again, all forenames that also appear in the children of 'George James Borraston'

Going back to the memorial notice for James Salisbury Davenport, the daughter M.P is probably Margaret Sarah Isabella, who married Thomas Herbert Parker in 1902.

M.D. is wife Margaret, and D.D. appears to be "Doris Emelie Gerte" Davenport who married Joseph Cyril James De Lisle (or Delisle) in 1907. She died in NSW in 1947 - parents James Salisbury & Margaret Isobel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Also to add that the unnamed 1881 male child of George/James & Sarah Davenport was Thomas Charles James Davenport. Again, all forenames that also appear in the children of 'George James Borraston'
    This should of course read the 1881 male child of George/James Salisbury Davenport & MARGARET, not Sarah.

Thomas Charles James Davenport died 1938, Victoria, aged 57. Parents James Davenport & Margaret Mackay

Thanks for all the information about the Davenports, Jomot. There are definite similarities between the Davenports and Borrastons aren't there and the timelines fit.

To add to that -
    Esther Davenport was a witness to James Salisbury Davenport's 1870 marriage.

Some of the Tasmanian Library database records link George Salisbury Davenport to parents George/John Davenport and Ann Andrews rather than Thomas and Esther, but I have a feeling that this has been inferred by researchers because George D and Ann had a son called George. I can't see any actual evidence online linking George James Salisbury Davenport to George D and Ann Andrews.

Doreen - in post 7 you mention your George sometimes being named George James Salisbury Borraston? I ask because the Salisbury name does seem to link the Davenports and Borrastons.

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Thanks for all the information about the Davenports, Jomot. There are definite similarities between the Davenports and Borrastons aren't there and the timelines fit.
    Its definitely circumstantial but yes, I'd say I'm about 99% convinced that James Davenport, James Salisbury Davenport, George James Salisbury Davenport & George James Borraston are all the same man.

Further confirmation that James Salisbury Davenport is the son of Thomas Charles & Esther:
    https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/a...es%20davenport

I also wondered if he briefly used William James Davenport as the NSW Police Gazette of 12 Apr 1865 carries a report of a youth named William James Davenport alias Salisbury charged with stealing jewellery. I also had to laugh at what I assume is him & his 'respectable' father in 1862: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/a...es%20davenport

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Dear Jom.ot1 and grisel

this is becoming a mystery story, with surprising twists and turns.
    I will study all this information and work out how to include it in the tree.
    thankyou.

Doreenh

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123