Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Amos Green, place Shropshire, nr Bridgnorth

Looking for a place called Amos Green somewhere in Shropshire.
    A 3 X GGF William Amos has birth place on the Stoke on Trent, 1851 census as Bridgenorth and birth place as Amos Green, Salop on the Stoke on Trent, 1861 census.
    Is there a place called Amos Green?
    A google search comes up only with a person,a painter.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Always give the census references so we can look at the page because sometimes what has been transcribed is not what was written (or, often, scribbled. )
    I had a job finding William in 1851 where his surname has been transcribed as Amis. Which in fairness, does seem to be what's written.

1851 - HO107/2006 folio 61 page 51
    1861 - RG9/1934 folio 26 page 46
    1871 - RG10/2869 folio 24 page 41 - where his birthplace is again given as Bridgnorth.

When I want to find places in England I always start with Genuki, and then click on the name of the county underneath the map.
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng
    Then click on 'list of parishes' immediately underneath the county map in the middle of the page.
    I notice that as well the alphabetical list of places there's also a box of extra parochial and another of miscellaneous. Check out those boxes (read it all, because Amos Green could get a tiny mention), as well the entry for Bridgnorth - which has links to two more entries for Bridgnorth.

Check through the list of places to see if there's any which end in 'green' (either a small or capital G) and then check where that place is in relation to Bridgnorth.

My gut feeling is that the eumerator wasn't paying attention when he was completing his schedules and wrote Amos in error before the Green. And the unknown-Green could be a small hamlet which today has been swalloed up by a larger town/village.

Have you checked for a baptism of William in Shropshire?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

I couldn’t get onto Genuki but googled places in Shropshire. There’s a place called Crossgreen,about 18 miles from Bridgnorth.

I did think like you the enumerator had put the name Amos in the wrong place!

Starting to feel at home

Thanks, I did not look for William beyond the 1861 Census as the 1871 census for his wife Eliza lists her as widow, she is living with her son John, plus his wife and children
    1871 England Census; Class: RG10; Piece: 2834; Folio: 36; Page: 16; GSU roll: 836374.
    I will look for another William Amos
    I have looked at Genuki, plus several old maps of the Bridgenorth area and cannot find anywhere that could be Amos Green.
    If we assume that the enumerator was inaccurate, I just found a place called Burnhill Green which is closer to Shifnal than to Bridgenorth.
    I found a baptism for a William Amos in Shifnal and there does seem to be a family connection to Shifnal, some of his in laws were born there.
    I will dig further into Burnhill and other places with Green in the name
    thanks again for your help and suggestions

I also looked at this esrlier this morning and used genuki which did not bring up an Amos Green. Came to the same conclusion as everybody else - the enumerator made a mistake.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    I couldn’t get onto Genuki but googled places in Shropshire. There’s a place called Crossgreen,about 18 miles from Bridgnorth.

I did think like you the enumerator had put the name Amos in the wrong place!
    What a good spot about Crossgreen. Try scribbling that (as well as mis-spelling it by omitting one of the 's'.) I reckon there's a good chance that you can make it look like Amos Green/Amosgreen.
    In fact, just sit far enough back from the image and squint, and you can almost see Cross Green written.

Had a heck of a job finding any other reference to Crossgreen, this Wikipedia page being an example.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossgreen
    There is one mention of it on the Pimhill page.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pimhill

And I've found it on an old map.
    https://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=1...&z=1&point=0,0
    Search for Pimhill, select the one in Shropshire, and you'll see Crossgreen smack in the middle of the bottom line of the middle box.

After all the waffle, Cross Green/Crossgreen could be a red herring, but I wouldn't necessarily rule it out.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Always give the census references so we can look at the page because sometimes what has been transcribed is not what was written (or, often, scribbled. )
    I had a job finding William in 1851 where his surname has been transcribed as Amis. Which in fairness, does seem to be what's written.

1851 - HO107/2006 folio 61 page 51
    1861 - RG9/1934 folio 26 page 46
    1871 - RG10/2869 folio 24 page 41 - where his birthplace is again given as Bridgnorth.
    Quote Originally Posted by grannytimes3 View Post
    Thanks, I did not look for William beyond the 1861 Census as the 1871 census for his wife Eliza lists her as widow, she is living with her son John, plus his wife and children
    1871 England Census; Class: RG10; Piece: 2834; Folio: 36; Page: 16; GSU roll: 836374.
    I will look for another William Amos
    The William that Pam has found in 1871 looks very much like the one who is with Eliza in earlier censuses. I have a couple who separated, and one census has them in different places with the husband as unmarried and the wife as a widow, and I'm sure I've read of other cases of this - all part of keeping up appearances.

In this case, have you found a marriage of William to Eliza? Just in case there were any clues I checked the birth registration for Julia (who is with them in 1851, and in whose household they were living in 1861, and Eliza in 1871). This is listed with the surname as AMES (Mar qtr 1843, Stoke on Trent), but the GRO index has no mother's maiden name; FreeBMD has a possible second index entry with the surname KEMP. This suggests her parents may not have been married. (Staffordshire BMD also has it under AMES and KEMP, both with mmn KEMP.)

Starting to feel at home

Marriage record for William and Elizabeth Johnson is 2nd quarter, 1840, West Bromwich, Volume: 18, Page: 653

In the 1851 census Julia Ames (Amos) is 8 years old and with her parents William and Eliza. Living with them is a 75 yr old lodger Elizabeth Kent, her place of birth is listed as Scotland, there is also a family 2 doors away of Mary Kent widow, age 55, with kids Levi age 19 and Mary age 17. Doesn't have to be connected but could be.

The surname has been an ongoing mystery, I also have the GRO birth records for Julia and her sister Sarah Ann, whose mother's mn is listed as Kent. THe marriage for Julia and her husband John Wright gives Julia's maiden name as Kent, it is the right record because all the details for John Wright are correct, his father's name, occupation etc are all correct. St James, Longton Staffordshire 1860, registered in Stoke on Trent in the March quarter of 1860 (6b 228)

It could also be that these children (Julia and Sarah) were the adopted children of another family member.

The marriage indexes at West Midlands BMD (https://www.westmidlandsbmd.org.uk/index.php) tell you exactly who married whom, and that 1840 marriage was between William Amos and Rachael Whitehouse. It's just a coincidence that the GRO index has an Elizabeth on the same page.

So back to looking for an alternative marriage.

Incidentally, it does seem possible that Kemp and Kent could be confused - before you mentioned those other entries I'd wondered about it when I saw Elizabeth Kent in the census.

Could this be the Sarah in 1851 census?

AMIS, SARAH ANN MMN- KENT
    GRO Ref: 1848 S Quarter in STOKE UPON TRENT
    Volume 17 Page 191

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast