Post Clargus 1740 Cumnor, Berkshire/Oxfordshire

Hi again,

I have found an interesting name in my tree, digging through my Father's Mother's line, Lay/Biles/Langford/East I found a John East my 7xGGF is born in Wolvercote Berkshire, (it is actually Oxfordshire) in 1739 and in 1761 he is in Cumnor, Berkshire (again Oxfordshire) and marries a Hester Clargus. I am guessing that she would have been born around 1740, give or take a couple of years. She is recorded as dying in Cumnor in 1813 and these records put her birth around 1740.

I can find no records for a Hester/Esther Clargus in Berkshire or Oxfordshire around this time, or, for that matter, anyone else named "Clargus" for that matter.

I can see a "Clargo" family in Thatcham, which is 22.9 miles from Cumnor, so not beyond the realms of possibility that Hester moved to Cumnor for some reason. There is no record for a Hester or Esther Clargo at this time either.

It is an unusual name, most likely a mis-spelling of another name (again looking at the priest's handwriting, which is slightly worse than mine, this is not unlikely)

I have found a copy of the marriage entry in the Cumnor pairs records here: https://users.ox.ac.uk/~djp/cumnor/index.html when looking at the East family, It looks like John moved there on his own, for work (seems to be a shepherd)

Can anyone find any further records for the Clargus name? or point me in the right direction? I am intrigued about them and would like to see if I can find out more about them.

Thanks

Dan

Famous for offering help & advice

A bit of a long shot, but there is a baptism in Fawley, Berkshire 28 Nov 1736 for Hester Clongag d/o Francis & Hester.

Siblings appear to have been baptised (or at least transcribed) as Ephraim Clargay 1734, John Clarage 1738 and Mary Claridge 1741

ADDED: Marriage 7 Oct 1734 at Denchworth, Francis Claridge & Hester Pocock

Ah thank you, it is definitely worth looking in into the Claridge name there. I suppose Clargus could be some odd latinisation of the name or something.

Thanks a lot.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    A bit of a long shot, but there is a baptism in Fawley, Berkshire 28 Nov 1736 for Hester Clongag d/o Francis & Hester.
    Out of curiosity, what search tool are you using and what parameters to get that version of Hester? I have tried various version and never even got close to that name, location or family.

I suspect, if it is not my Hester, it is close to the right direction.

Dan

Famous for offering help & advice

I was looking on FMP using Hester (and variants) C*g* and also tried Cl*

Ah, the one site I hadn't tried, and the combinations I hadn't even thought of.

Thanks a load. I am starting to think there might be a link to the "Clarges" family, who seem to also take the name Claridge and variations.

I really appreciate the help, I suspect you have pointed me in the right direction there.

Dan

As an update, It appears that this is a corruption of the Claridge name, leading back to an Ephraim Claridge in 1680 in Inglesham, Wiltshire.

Thanks for the help in getting through the wall

Dan