Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MATTHEW FREEMAN (LUSITANIA)-LAURA KIRBY

This new thread should be read in conjunction with an earlier thread Sarah Goudeket-Albert Kirby.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...RBY?highlight=
    In the earlier thread I posted a range of data on my great uncle Albert Kirby, his wife Sarah Goudeket and their daughter Laura.
    As part of ongoing research the most recent information suggests that Laura married Matthew Freeman 1895-1965 who is recorded on a several online sites as a survivor from the sinking of the Lusitania in 1915 by a German U Boat.
    I have recorded a range of census and other data which suggests that he was the husband of Laura. In addition, I have ordered the GRO Death Certificate for Laura and will do the same for Matthew.
    At present I cannot locate a marriage record but suspect they may have married in the USA.

As a start with the research Albert and Sarah Kirby lived at 16 Grange Road Eastbourne. Laura died at the same address ( I have posted details of the deaths and probate for Albert and Laura which confirm the address).

Matthew Freeman also died in Eastbourne age 72 GRO Death Index Eastbourne March qtr 5H 467 1968

The UK and Ireland Passenger Lists record- Matthew Freeman age 52 clothier residence 16 Grange Road Eastbourne intended future residence Canada Departure 4.12.1947 Southampton for New York on the Queen Mary

Laura Kirby Departed 4.12.1947 residence 16 Grange Road Eastbourne Sussex from Southampton to New York on the Queen Mary.

Laura was still single when she departed from New York to Southampton 19.10.1950 on the Queen Mary- her address 16 Grange Road Eastbourne Sussex

However, by 1960 the shipping records indicate-Laura FREEMAN age 52 b 27 July 1907 port of departure New York -arrival Southampton 17 May 1960.
    Matthew Freeman (Retired) born 11.10.1895 - Laura Freeman Auditor Country of last permanent residence USA country of intended permanent residence USA. Residence in UK 25 Museum Street London WC1

I will post further on Matthew Freeman, his parents and siblings plus other data.
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 01-10-2020 at 8:03 PM. Reason: Added link to referenced earlier thread
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

There are several online references to Matthew Freeman and his connection to the Lusitania.
    See Peter's Lusitania Page in reference to Matthew Freeman.." He had left for Canada together with four brothers in 1913 but seems to have returned to Britain at some point and on 27 January 1915 left Liverpool... he stayed in New York for about three months before he joined the Lusitania as a waiter. Mr Freeman survived the sinking of the Lusitania. He later became a cloth buyer and returned to New York in 1916 and lived there for some time. He died in Eastbourne Sussex on 24 March 1968, aged 72"

Another online account provides a brief reference to Matthew Freeman by Ruth Freeman Aylward who referred to him as her great uncle and spoke about his bravery during the sinking of the Lusitania. She also referred to him living in Miami during the 1950s.

The UK and Ireland Outward Passenger Lists show the brothers Sam Freeman tailor 26,Solomon Freeman tailor 25,Aaron Freeman tailor 24,Matt Freeman tailor 18,Nathan Freeman tailor 15 deaprting Liverpool for Halifax St.John Canada on the ship Hesperian sailing 26.3.1913.

On one of the Lusitania websites Matthew Freeman is recorded as age 19 a waiter.

The US World war 1 Draft registration Cards 1917-1918 records Matthew Freeman single born 11 October 1895 London England living at Street 108 E17 Manhattan NY Cloth buyer own employer Medium height,medium build,eyes brown,hair black

An earlier record shows him as a cloth buyer b 1895 Departing 28.10.1916 from Liverpool for New York on the ship Saint Louis Country of permanent residence USA.

A later UK and Ireland incoming passenger shipping record shows him as a cloth buyer age 22 address 50 Old Compton Street London W1 country of last permanent residence USA Port of departure New York arrival port of Liverpool 13.9.1918 on the Carmania.

The Old Compton street address was that of his parents. An arrival record in the USA in 1948 from Canada 1 June 1948 Washington District shows he arrived from Canada District of Columbia b 11 Oct 1895 parents DAVIS FREEMAN and LEAH DAVIS.

I will post further on his parents/siblings.

Default DAVID FRIEDMAN aka DAVIS FREEMAN-LEAH DAVIS

The GRO Marriage Index shows the marriage of Matthew Freeman's parents-Sept qtr 1880 London 1c 174
    DAVID FRIEDMAN-LEAH DAVIS.
    As the census show David Friedman altered his names to David Friedman and later Davis Freeman.
    1891 Census (Copyright TNA RG12 282 1086)
    13 Tenter Street North Whitechapel London

DAVIS FRIEDMAN H M 32 Tailor b Poland
    Leah D wife 31 b Liverpool Lancashire
    Isaac son 10 scholar b London
    Abraham son 9 b London
    Mark son 7
    Samuel son 5
    Solomon son 3
    Aaron son 1
    Joseph son 9 months
    All children born London

1901 Census (Copyright TNA) RG13 106 91 44
    1 Charlotte Street St.Marylebone London

DAVID FREEMAN H M 43 tailor b Poland BS
    Lea wife 42 b Liverpool Lancashire
    Abraham son s 18 tailor b St Pancras
    Mark son s 17 tailor
    Solomon son 13 scholar
    Aaron son 12 scholar
    Josef son 9
    Arthur son 6
    Nathan son 3
    All children born St.Pancras
    +1 servant +8 lodgers

1911 Census ( Copyright TNA) RG14 507
    50 Old Compton Street Soho W

DAVIS FREEMAN H 50 Tailoring Dealer employer b Poland Russia Nationality Russian
    LILA wife 49 Married 30 years 13 children 2 dead b Liverpool
    Isac E son 28 married 7 years assisting in business b Whitechapel
    Abraham son 26 assisting in business
    Marks son 25 " "
    Samuel son 23
    Solomon son 22
    Eren son 20
    Joseph son 18
    MATTHEW son 16
    Nathan son 12
    Lewis son 9
    Rosy daughter 5
    All above children born Soho except Isac

Davis Freeman died in 1925- Probate- DAVIS FREEMAN 101 Priory Road West Hampstead and 181 Victoria Street Middlesex died 19 October 1925 at 101 Priory Road. Probate to Leah Freeman widow Effects £5262. 3.3

Further data to be posted on.

The following newspaper extract records Matthew Freeman giving a personal account of his Lusitania experience.."At the Lyric Theatre where 'Lest We Forget'is playing a counter attraction was provided in the lobby ... a clean cut athletic young man gave a brief but vivid description of the thrilling episode which attended the historic disaster of the ill starred Lusitania. He is Matthew Freeman an amateur featherweight champion of London whose pluck and courage saved seven lives.
    Freeman was in the water for seven hours before he was rescued.. Freeman holds the medal of the Royal Humane Society of Great Britain"

New York Tribune February 4, 1918

The following census maybe that of the parents and siblings of Leah Davis the mother of Matthew. Further research is needed to confirm this.

(Crown Copyright TNA) RG9 2681 56 40
    18 Bronte Street Mount Pleasant Liverpool
    WOLFF DAVIS H M 36 Tailor b Prussia
    Mina wife 40 b Prussia
    Isaac son 9 b Prussia
    Ann daughter 7 b Prussia
    David son 4 b Yorkshire Leeds
    LEY dau 2 b Lancaster Liverpool
    +1 lodger

This census may also relate to the same family but the trade of this Wolf is a glazier not tailor.

1871 Census (Copyright TNA) RG10 3789 23 39
    WOLF DAVIS H widower glazier 40 b Prussia
    Rachael Davis daughter in law Married 23 b Lancs Liverpool
    Isaac son married 19 Traveller b Prussia
    Ann dau u 17 b Prussia
    Lee? dau 12 b Liverpool Lancs
    Jacob son 10 b Liverpool Lancs
    Joseph grandson 3 b Liverpool Lancs
    Elias grandson 1 b Liverpool Lancs

There are various British Newspaper accounts of Matthew aka Matt Freeman. I do not have access to the full accounts but see Hero in Street Brawl Thursday 5 August 1915 Matthew Freeman 19 clothier Old Compton Street;
    Matt Freeman one of the survivors of the Lusitania sinking wrote an article Thursday 7 May 1936 Aberdeen Press and Journal.
    Other articles refer to Matthew Freeman being rejected by the USA for military service WW1. Reference is made to his boxing for the Polytechnic 8.C

This post provides further data on Matthew Freeman and some of his siblings.
    1939 Register (Copyright TNA)
    3 Talbot Mansions Holborn

Mark Freeman b 14 April 1885 single clothier and outfitter Director
    Solomon Freeman b 21 July 1888 single clothier and outfitter cloth buyer
    MATHEW FREEMAN b 11 October 1885 single clothier and outfitter supervisor of service uniforms
    Louis Freeman b 9 May 1901 single foreman,Governor and ? contractor

GRO Death Index
    LEWIS FREEMAN
    9MY1901 St Marylebone 5D1793 Sept qtr 1973

UK Passenger arrivals
    Louis Freeman 181 Victoria Street London SW1 clothier age 51 Departure New York Arrival Southampton 16.5.1951
    Nb There are other passenger records for the brothers

Probate
    Solomon Freeman 3 Museum House 25 Museum Street London WC1 died 23 March 1976- Effects £2629

Probate
    Mark Freeman 25 Museum Street London WC1
    Died 3 September 1964 at the Middlesex Hospital London 1 Administration to William David Freeman Wang clothier £7052
    LOUIS FREEMAN 181 Victoria Street London SW1 clothier

The following is the GRO Death Certificate for Laura Freeman nee Kirby and shows that she was the widow of Matthew Freeman:
    DEATH
    Estbourne 19 April 1973
    Brooklyn, 12 Jevington Gardens Eastbourne
    Laura Freeman widow of Matthew Freeman -Occupation unknown 16 Grange Road Eastbourne
    Informant Geoffrey Gould Remington Hickes causing the body to be buried Glox Road Chambers Eastbourne
    Cause of death
    1a Retroperitneal Sarcoma
    Registered 24 April 1973

In the thread Sarah Goudeket-Albert Kirby I posted that the sister in law of Albert Kirby was Elsie GOODSON.
    This post shows a further relationship between the Goodson and Laura Freeman nee Kirby.
    It is likely that the Goodson changed their surname from Goudeket.

Probate
    Elsie GOODSON Flat 2, 8 Devonshire Place Eastbourne died 21 September 1966. Probate to LAURA FREEMAN MARRIED woman £22208

Jack GOODSON
    25 Eversfield Place St.Leonards on Sea died 12 September 1945 Probate to Elsie Goodson widow £654

The following probate shows a surname change from Goudeket to Goodson:
    Clara GOUDEKET or Kate GOODSON 159 Clarence Gate Gardens London NW1 spinster died 9 February 1961 at University College Hospital St.Pancras London
    Probate to Ida COHEN spinster Effects £572 7s 9d

It is possible that she is Clara aka Kate Goudeket b 1889 parents Eleazer Goudeket 1946-1917 and Phoebe Bebbes 1853-

The UK Passenger lists show:
    Departure Southampton 1938 to New York Jack Goodson age 61 merchant and Elsie Goodson 59 housewife 90 Avenue Road Hampstead NW3

1939 Register (Copyrifgt TNA ) RG101/239C
    Jack GOODSON b 26 August 1876 Comany Director
    Elsie GOODSON b 15 August 1878 Unpaid Domestic duties
    90 Avenue Road Hampstead London

GRO Death Index
    Elsie Goodson age 88 b abt 1878 July qtr 1966 Eastbourne Sussex 5h 286

I am adding new data on Matthew Freeman - the 1921 census (Copyright TNA)
    50 Old Compton Street Soho W1
    Leah Freeman wife 58 M b Liverpool,Lancashire Home duties *** She has recorded under the heading British Born heading Russian, Pole by Marriage probably referring to her husband
    Mark Freeman son 35 years single b London Clothier Enployer 108 Charing Cross Road WC2
    Solomon son 33 2 mths single b London Assistant clothier 50 Old Compton Street Soho W1
    MATTHEW son 25 8 mths single b London Assistant salesman 50 Old Compton Street Soho
    Louis son single b London Assistant Salesman 108 Charing Cross Road
    Rose dau 15 years 5 mths b London

BURIAL-Findagrave

MATTHEW FREEMAN b 11 Oct 1895 Death 24 March 1968 Greater London Burial Ocklynge Cemetery Eastbourne East Sussex Age 68 Section o,Plot 553

See photographs of the small tombstone with the Inscription.." And of Matthew Freeman son in law of above Born 11 Oct 1895 Died 25 March 1968 Survivor of S S Lusitania disaster of 1915. Depply mourned by wife LAURA nee KIRBY, Brothers and Friends

*** I am unclear as to why Matthew was not buried in a Jewish Cemetery but given his wife Laura and father in law Albert Kirby were not Jews the inscription suggests he maybe buried near to his father in law Albert.

Nb I relate to Matthew via his wife Laura and her father Albert. Albert b 1882 is the brother of Francis Christopher Kirby b 1884 my grandfather.

I have also noted that the father of Matthew is recorded in one record as Davis FREEDMAN b 1862 death 10 Jan 1920 Edmonton Federation Cemetery Plot No 9 6 19 age 58 Mourned by Rosie Freedman
    GRO Death Index March qtr 1920 1c 355 Bethnal Green

This record differs from an earler record death date of 1925 and requires further research.

I now hold new photographs taken within the last 3 days of the tombstone of Matthew Freeman together with his father in law Albert Edward Kirby and his wife Sarah aka Sadie. I have yet to confirm that Laura is also buried in the same plot. In addition, I have added new data on Albert Edward Kirby see the thread Sarah Goudeket-Albert Kirby. The data has been taken from two Eastbourne newspapers.
    I noted in one of the Passenger Lists online that Matthew age 31 Merchant English has Hebrew added arrival New York 6 June 1927 had a cousin in the US GILBERT HARRIS.
    This cousin requires further research and I have Harris distant relatives among my Jacobs lines.
    I will post further data as it arrives and will get the GRO Marriage Record for the parents of Matthew.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast