Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arthe Rainsbury

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Rainsburys

Dear everyone
    once again a big thankyou. Please everyone stay well with this health crisis.

in connection to this family, Edmund Rainsbury b 1880 who married Lily Baxter.
    Found a son Harold born 1911 Salford.
    Now I came across another Harold Rainsbury born 1936, father Harold, mother Lily Dillon (to whom I believe is the spouse of Harold - married Jan 1934 Salford. vol.8d, pg.589.

Now I think Lily was born 1912 Salford and died 1982 Salford. trying to find her parents. according to the birth for 1912, it states, mothers maiden name Webster.

I found a Patrick Dillon m. Frances Webster 1881, a Thomnas Dillon m. Annie Webster 1897 and a William Dillon m. SArah Jane Webster 1901.

which one do uou think is Lily's parents. I have checked, ancestry, findmypast, familysearch.org but doesnt give me mothers christian name.
    thanking you in advance.
    Doreenh

Famous for offering help & advice

Marraige cert should give Lily’s fathers name if known.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by DoreenH View Post
    Dear everyone
    once again a big thankyou. Please everyone stay well with this health crisis.

in connection to this family, Edmund Rainsbury b 1880 who married Lily Baxter.
    Found a son Harold born 1911 Salford.
    Now I came across another Harold Rainsbury born 1936, father Harold, mother Lily Dillon (to whom I believe is the spouse of Harold - married Jan 1934 Salford. vol.8d, pg.589.

Now I think Lily was born 1912 Salford and died 1982 Salford. trying to find her parents. according to the birth for 1912, it states, mothers maiden name Webster.

I found a Patrick Dillon m. Frances Webster 1881, a Thomnas Dillon m. Annie Webster 1897 and a William Dillon m. SArah Jane Webster 1901.

which one do uou think is Lily's parents. I have checked, ancestry, findmypast, familysearch.org but doesnt give me mothers christian name.

thanking you in advance.
    Doreenh
    1.Search for Patrick/Frances and the other two couples in 1891, 1901 and 1911 census. I think you will find Frances either too old to give birth or at least unlikely to. Check for the birth patterns of children born to the couples. You often find that the children are all born in the same quarter, two years apart.
    2. In which registration districts are the couples living in the various census, and is it the same as the one in which Lily's birth was registered?
    3. Have you looked for a baptism? There is no England and Wales birth registration index which will tell you the mother's first name.
    4.Wait patiently until the 1 January 2022 for the release of the 1921 census. Though it will cost at least a fiver (possibly more as I can't remember the 1911 rates) to access the entry.
    5. Go mad, and splash seven pounds on a PDF birth certificate for Lily.

Options 4 and 5 depend on how desperate you are to find Lily's parents.

ADDED: Apologies to anyone who read sentence 3 and thought 'stupid woman doesn't know what she's talking about'. I have now amended my sentence to read
    'There is no England and Wales birth registration index which will tell you the mother's first name', instead of maiden
    name which I originally wrote.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Brick wall demolition expert!

The only way to know for certain which couple are the parents of Lily Dillon, will be if you get either the marriage certificate between Harold and Lily in 1934 as that will list her father's name, OR buy Lily Dillon's birth certificate.

Marriage Certificate £11 – ordered on line at GRO
    Birth Certificate for Lily Dillon - £7 - ordered on line at GRO as a PDF

If doing family history research was based on gambling, then I would put my money on Thomas and Annie married in 1897 in Salford. They are the only ones married in that area, and everything seems to point to that location. BUT you cannot rely on that sort of gamble, because don't forget Robert and Catherine Rainsbury moved with their children from Liverpool to Salford.

A couple of bits that you may not have picked up on:

Harold's actual dob 18 Oct 1911 – from his father’s pension record card from WW1.

Edmund & Lily had 5 children: Lily, Ada, Edmund, Albert and Harold. Lily died the year she was born; 1901.

Harold & Lily had 2 children: Harold 1936 and Sheila 1940, both born in Salford.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12