Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Rainsburys of Ireland

Dear everyone
    I hope you are all okay with the current health crisis.

I am trying to find a marriage to confirm the parents of:

Robert Rainsbury born 1840 Clonmel Ireland, his brother John Rainsbury born 1835.

according to Robert's marriage cert, it states father: John Rainsbury , farmer.

family members believe his wife was Johanna Hearn, but I cannot find the marriage under any spelling of Hearn, nor Johanna.

So maybe Johanna is not the mother.

Robert died 1900 Salford Lancashire. he married Kate Edwards 5 Nov 1864 Liverpool, Lancashire.

any help would be most appreciated.
    I have tried, Ancestry, findmypast, familysearch.org, Ireland marriage index. no luck.

thanking you
    Doreenh

Did you try variants on Johanna’s forename? Joan, Joanne, etc.

familysearch.org has a comprehensive guide to Irish Genealogy Here is the starting page for County Tipperary. After looking at a map of Clonmel the church there was and is St Mary's Catholic church. However I note that Robert and Catherine were married in the Church of England. If John and Johanna were Catholic the guide here gives the years marriage records are available for Clonmer and that is assuming they married there.
    Have you tried ROOTSIRELAND? https://www.rootsireland.ie/ Clonmel is in County Waterford.
    Sorry if you have all of this already but it has introduced me to resources I hadn't fully investigate before such as this one https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en...reland_Records.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Dear Christina
    tried Rootsireland. found a John Rainsberry parents John Rainsbury and Johanna Hearn 1835. but no Robert to same parents that I could find at the moment.
    thank you
    Doreenh

The free search facility on RootsIreland is very high level - and automatically searches +- 5 years. You cannot search for a specific year or specify location. However, Rainsberry is quite unusual and by manipulating the search I was able to confirm a baptism year of a John Rainsberry, 1835. I had already found an original entry on Catholic Registers (St. Mary's Clonmel, Diocese of Waterford and Lismore - bap 24th June) that could be the RootsIreland record. I am only using the RootsIreland free facility - not subscribing.
    Manipulating the year of search for Robert Rainsberry on RootsIreland I identified baptisms for a Robert Rainsberry in 1833 and 1839. I have searched Catholic registers (St. Mary, Clonmel, Waterford and Lismore) for these years without success - but they are a nightmare to follow, so much is illegible.
    Did you find the 1839 baptismal record for Robert Rainsberry on RootsIreland and did it show parents other than John/Johanna? Save me ploughing through 1839 again!!

regards

Forgot to add - I may, of course, missed the entries when searching, easily done.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Knowledgeable and helpful

Tradition was to marry in the bride’s church after which she’d usually attend her husband’s. So the Church of England marriage suggests the bride at least was of that denomination. Church of England in Ireland is the Church of Ireland.

If the family was Church of Ireland and lived in Clonmel, then the bad news is that the only early records for that parish are baptisms for the years 1791 – 1807. No marriages or burials. (It looks as though most of the early records were lost in the 1922 fire in Dublin).

The originals for the years 1791 – 1807 are in the RCB library in Dublin and there’s a microfilm copy in the National Archives in Dublin. My guide to Church of Ireland records mentions some coverage on rootsireland too.
    ELWYN

Dear helachau
    sorry, no I couldnt find the bapt for Robert with father Robert and mother Johanna. All I have is his marriage 5 Nov 1864 St. Luke Liverpool Lancashire, stating birth 1840 Clonmel Ireland. with parents Robert Rainsbury and Johanna Hearn. ( have tried different spellings of Rainsbury and Hearn) but no luck, so maybe his was one that was destroyed.
    But I still cannot find a death for his parents Robert and Johanna. nor a marriage.'
    thanks
    Doreenh

The free RootsIreland search facility tells me a Robert Rainsberry was baptised 1839 - that's all. To see more I have to subscribe/pay. If you checked RootsIreland did you subscribe/pay too see the 1839 baptism for Robert Rainsberry and were then able to rule it out as "your" Robert?
    To compare, the free search facility tells me a John Rainsberry was baptised 1835. In this instance I had already found an original entry on Catholic Registers for a John Rainsberry, bap Clonmel 24 Jun 1835, parents Johanis Rainsberry and Johanna Hearn (not easy to read). I have to assume this is the John Rainsberry held by RootsIreland. What did the record on RootsIreland tell you about John?

This is the Catholic Registers entry
    https://registers.nli.ie/registers/v...ge/54/mode/1up

If it delivers the exact page (54), the entry is in column 4 - extreme right of screen. Look for the figure "24".
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"