Dear all,

My name is Kaj and I am a Dutch hobbyist researcher who stumbled upon some English roots of my own. In particular, I am interested in the background of the Englishman 'Mr.' Henry "Henrick" Stafford from Selby (UK) who emigrated to Leiden with another family member (possibly a brother) called Thomas Stafford, a wealthy merchant, also from Selby. Thomas died in 1644. His story can be found here.

The first records of Henry in Leiden date back to 1622, when he was already a Dutch citizen( prior records appear missing, including his marriage certificate with his first wife - buried in 1622 - and baptismal certificates of his children). Henry was in the luxury clothing business, and from 1629 a surgeon. Another family member (possibly a son or a nephew) Thomas Stafford, husband of Maria Vogels, was also a surgeon. This Thomas might be a big lead to a possible family background. His coat of arms has been described as following:

"Reversed forks in three with a red twill along the dividing line: 1. gold a natural rooster, standing on a dark (dark green?) Ground; 2. in silver a castle-like building of light brown stone, of two storeys, with a tower on the right side and a blue roof, on a grassy ground; 3. in blue (?) An unrecognizable golden object rising from the base of the shield (broad with 3 projections upwards: a hill or dunes ??). Helmet: the rooster. Mantling: gold and red."

The coat of arms hints to a possible link with the well-known English family Stafford: a red twill in gold; with a swan as a helmet sign.

Is there any reason to doubt that there was such a link between these two families? I haven't found anything about "the" Staffords emigrating to Leiden. Does anyone of you know anything about the Staffords from Selby (or surroundings)?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards,

Kaj