Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Any ways to find more details on a marriage?

Hi. I think I know the answer to this, but wanted to sound out people with more experience to check I'm not missing something.

I want to track a marriage. I know her original name, and her married name. (Williams and Smith, thanks a bunch!)

I've used Ancestry to narrow down to six possible marriages. None of these are ones that have the birth dates of individuals (looking at 1940s and 1950s marriages - just the married names on Ancestry).

Are there any other online resources anyone can suggest that may allow me to tease out any more details on these marriages?

I suspect I'll just have to buy the certs one by one and hope one of them is a hit, but before dishing out about £70 I wanted to at least throw this out there to see if I was missing anything.

Many thanks!

Reputation beyond repute

Doesn't the birth certificate of one of the children provide enough information to track down the marriage?

I know of no children.

Reputation beyond repute

So not an ancestor, then.

Famous for offering help & advice

Do you have the full DoB of this lady, or just the year?

If you have her full DoB then have you tried looking for her death (assuming she is now deceased), as after 1969 this was also included on the death certificate, and on the indexes.

Her death certificate is then likely to also give her husband’s name.

Unfortunately this isnt fool-proof as depending on when she died the full index may not be online.