Question Demobilization HMS Mersey Wirral

Hi everyone, new here.....what brought me to be here is a bit of a brick wall trying to find a potential grandparent. As a family we think he was serving personnel who may of been Royal Navy. We believe he was sent to HMS Mersey classified as T124X shore based naval establishment at Neston on the Wirral in 1946 as part of his demobilization. Does anyone know if there are records re demobilization? I was thinking maybe The Royal Liver buildings may contain some. I know I'm looking for someone who would be visiting the area in the summer of 1946. HMS Mersey was still naval in 1946 but only just. Thanks

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will explain the connection.

WW11 service records are still held by the MoD but can be applied for at the cost of 30 pounds. You will also need a copy of the death certificate and know the exact date of birth. Your problem is that you don't actually know for sure if your grandfather was in the Royal Navy so it could be a case of spending money to find out he wasn't. There is also a very long wait to receive the records because of present restrictions. This 'sticky' gives more information and links to download application forms.
    I have just reread your post and am not even sure that you have a name for your potential grandfather? If not probably the better way to approach this is by DNA testing although that in itself can throw up more than one candidate in a family.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs