Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Munden

Default Munden

Trying to find gwilym munden service no. He joined in 1843 and was discharged in 1865 and was a sergeant in the royal marine artillery any pointers would be much appreciated. Michala

Michala, welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.

Do you know any more about GM? Age or birth and death dates, perhaps? Where was he born - it sounds as though it should be Wales? Or where did he live in civilian life?
    I've had a look at some of the likely registers available online, but can only find 3 Gwilyms, all with the wrong surname and born around the turn of the 19/20th centuries. No doubt those of our members who know more about that time than me will do better.

Hello the information I have is Gwilym Thomas Munden born 28/4/1821 in penlline glamorganshire

I’ve found that is age at attestation was 21 and it was in bath

Famous for offering help & advice

buried at Penllyn St Brynach in 1867 ? A son of the same name born 1856 ?

His father was Edward munden, gwilym had a son Frederick and 2 daughters

Reputation beyond repute

National Archives catalogue -

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ls/r/C14607526

For further advice, see the research guide -

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...rds-1842-1925/

The implication is (although it isn't explicitly stated) that full service records have not survived for men discharged before 1884.

Gwilym did die in 1866

Many thx, found that but can’t download that info was hoping there was another way to find out.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Michala lidds View Post
    Many thx, found that but can’t download that info was hoping there was another way to find out.
    I presume you're referring to the record Peter found at Kew. If you look to the right of the page it says that you can either visit Kew n person and access the record or else ask Kew for a quotation of how much it could cost for them to send you a copy. Only you can decide how much you would pay for a copy of the records, and whether you would rather spend time and money visiting Kew, or just spend money and let Kew do the work for you.

However do take note of Peter's final sentence regarding what's in the guide to service records:
    The implication is (although it isn't explicitly stated) that full service records have not survived for men discharged before 1884.
    Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast