To my surprise, thanks to the required home-lurking, I'm pretty much up to date with work paperwork and so I'm returning to my genealogy brickwalls.

John Robertson (abt 1816-1874)is my earliest known Robertson ancestor. The situation's not helped by the fact that this is one of the 10 most common surnames in Scotland. He first appears in the 1841 census for Ruthven in Angus and I have him in Ruthven in every subsequent census until his death.
He married Margaret Lindsay, daughter of James Lindsay and Jean Kemlo in 1843 (I have lots of info on the Lindsay/Kemlo lines and am not seeking more at the moment). "Kemlo" has a remarkable number of spelling variations.
They had 4 boys and one girl. Margaret died between 1852-1855 when John remarried Eliza Glass (daughter of Samuel & Mary Glass), and stated on the marriage cert that his mother was Elizabeth Hand, birthplace Queen's County (now Laois) in Ireland, and he had been brought from Ireland as a young child and did not know his father. He also gave both parents as deceased. He and Eliza had one daughter.

I have never been able to find anything about Elizabeth Hand or John's father. I have never found any mention of siblings, either and have been wondering whether John was a military brat. It's several years since I've tried, mostly because I have run out of ideas.