Default An occupation made for me.

I spent a little time this morning looking at some of the side lines on my maternal tree and found a couple of interesting ones.
    Frederick Houghton was a station master in 1911 but the wow factor was finding his travel to Hamburg as a result of his occupation.
    The one that made me smile however is his brother Edward who in 1911 has his occupation recorded as 'Inspector of Nuisances" working for the Urban District Council.
    His occupation in 1939 - Chief Sanitary Inspector which doesn't have the same smile factor
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

I have an inspector of nuisances (1866) in my extended tree, he was also assistant inspector of the abattoir - both on Glebe Island in Sydney Harbour. Joseph Jager was his name.

At last i got around to searching the occupation and this site gives an explanation which fits my bloke in Lancashire in 1911 and his occupation in 1939 and your Joseph Jager in Australia. It's brought me down to earth a bit, I prefer my imaginings.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

thanks for that link. I sort of guessed smell would be Joseph's main problem. I think he lived near his work so I guess it would be in his own interest to get that nuisance sorted.