Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Searching for a family in 1861

I am looking for a family named Halse. Specifically, Matthew Lee Halse born 2Q 1860 in Mile End. Mother was Mary Ann Halse nee Grew who married Richard Halse in 1854. There were other children to the marriage - William Augustus Halse born 3Q 1855 in Stepney and another child, George Richard Halse born 3Q 1857 in Stepney.

Richard Halse, the father, was a carpenter although sometimes referred to himself as a cabinet maker. Richard had previously married Ann Mutton in 1845 and then a Matilda Gordon in 1866 and they had children.

I've got Richard and Ann Halse in Marylebone, Middlesex in the 1851 census and Richard is listed as 33 years old, a master carpenter and born in Marylebone, Middlesex. There don't seem to have been any children to the Richard and Ann marriage that I can find and I haven't yet found her death. When he re-married Mary Grew in 1854 Richard was calling himself Richard Baker Halse, a cabinet maker and a bachelor which might suggest his first wife, Ann nee Mutton, had not died!

The name of 'Halse' gets mangled and mistranscribed and I just can't find them in 1861!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Come on Audrey - where were the family in 1871, and how was the surname mangled both then and in other censuses? You know these details, so tell us so we don't have to waste time trying to find them.
    Census references are always a plus.

1851 census reference HO107/1487 folio 176 page 5.

RG10/636 folio 93 page 40. Surname transcribed on FMP as Hake.
    Richard, 47, born Marylebone.
    Matilda, 37, South Hackney
    George(?), 13, Whitechapel
    Matthew, 11, Whitechapel
    Matilda, 3, Rotherhithe
    Henry, 5 months, presumed to be Bermondsey as that's where they're living, but it's been overwritten, and the writing is appalling.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

A possible in 1861, bearing in mind that some facts fit and others don't.

RG9/293 folio 64 page 3. Living in St Dunstan's Stepney.
    George Holes (as transcribed on FMP), 42, carpenter,
    Mary, 36(?),
    George, 4,
    Matt, 1,
    All born Stepney, Middlesex.

I haven't checked for a Holes/Hales family with these names in 1851 or 1871.

I based my search on Matthew's birth registration June quarter 1860, Mile End registration district, so just looked for a Matthew (+ variants) born 1860, living in Mile End registration district.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

He's in Marylebone in the '41 (age 20) and '51 (age 33) Census. So, very likely him? -

The Champion, Sun 26 Mar 1837
    LONDON POLICE - MARYLEBONE
    "How's the Cook?" - Richard Halse, a dapper little carpenter, with a remarkably broad nose, and a mouth of considerable longitudinal dimensions ..."

It's an odd court case - he was discharged with a caution.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Growing old Disgracefully

son George Richard married Mary Ann Field 3 Oct 1866 at Christ Church, Rotherhide, says his father is George Richard Halse - Carpenter. If you havent seen it.

Growing old Disgracefully

Marriage for Mary Ann Grew to Richard Baker Halse 1854 batchelor if he had previously married he wouldn't be at unless he lied he says hes a cabinet maker so is his father John.