I am researching my Uncle, John Arthur Frederick Eastwood. He joined the Indian Army in 1941 and was 'Missing in Action, presumed killed' 4 April 1943 while fighting in Burma. His body was never found and as recently as 10 years ago the Commonwealth War Graves Commission confirmed that is still the case. I am sure that date is correct, I still have the original letter from his Commanding Officer to my grandparents explaining what happened.

He is the first entry on this page

https://www.unithistories.com/office...l#Eastwood_JAF

The final column on that page makes reference to the 1946 Army List. I have a photocopy of the list referred to (seems I can't post an image of it here) which records him as being in the Indian Army - Southern Army - Mechanical Engineers - as a Dep Ass Dir of Mechanical Engineering from 29 October 1943. Although the details undoubtedly identify my uncle they cannot be correct. He was MIA Presumed Dead 7 months previously (and he was never an Engineer, he was an Infantryman).

Any ideas how that incorrect Army List entry might have appeared? I wondered whether it might be connected with how the Army recorded those officers who died during WW2 but whose bodies were never found. I suspect thy weren't confirmed to be dead until after the end of the war as my Uncle's death certificate was not issued until 1946 and Probate for his Estate wasn't granted until 1946.