Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

From post #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post

Finally found that Miles in the 1851 census, name written as Shield(s) on the census form. Census reference HO107/1816 folio 312 page 5.
    In 1861 he's become Miles Cooper (though currently indexed on FMP as Carper, but I've sent an error notice). Census reference RG9/1218 folio 86 page 36. Definitely him as his birthplace and occupation are consistent. In the 1871 and 1881 census, he calls himself Miles Cooper Field(s).

Pam
    The good news is that Miles is now correctly indexed as Miles Cooper in the 1861 census on FMP.
    The bad news is that his birthplace currently reads Bury St Edmunds Norfolk. So I've sent off another correction error.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    My computer is playing silly b's this morning, so for the third time I will attempt to post a short message. I'm going to click 'post' at the end of each line, so give me a few minutes to finish typing before anyone responds.

As Henry died first, and John seems to be living in the same town as his (alleged) mother, it would be logical for him to register her death, so I would certainly be investing seven quid in a PDF opy of Sarah's death certificate.
    In the burial register, Sarah's abode is given as Nelson Road, and I was desperately hoping that was where John was living in 1871 but no such luck.

Wheelsy - to obtain BMD certificates, start here https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp
    Scroll down to register/sign in, and then you want 'search the indexes'.
    Once you've got Sarah's entry, click the radio button to the left, and then select 'PDF'.

Pam
    who's finally made it. Hurray.
    Hi all,

I have Sarah's death certificate back. The informant of her death was not John Valentine as we hoped, it was somebody called Martha who it states was present at her death.
    It also states that Sarah died at Roman Place in Great Yarmouth. After searching this on a map Roman Place is a small alley way just off Nelson Road, Nelson Road is where it states that Henry died two years before so that makes sense.
    Strangely it states that Sarah was the widow of John Cable, It makes me wonder if John is Henry Cable's middle name, i have not had a chance to check this yet.
    Also that could tie in with why John Valentine states his father as John on his marriage banns.

Any thoughts?

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelsy View Post
    Hi all,

I have Sarah's death certificate back. The informant of her death was not John Valentine as we hoped, it was somebody called Martha who it states was present at her death.
    What was Martha's surname & address? She may well have just been a neighbour, but leads can come from the strangest of places sometimes.

Hi all,

It also states that Sarah died at Roman Place in Great Yarmouth. After searching this on a map Roman Place is a small alley way just off Nelson Road, Nelson Road is where it states that Henry died two years before so that makes sense.
    Strangely it states that Sarah was the widow of John Cable, It makes me wonder if John is Henry Cable's middle name, i have not had a chance to check this yet.
    Also that could tie in with why John Valentine states his father as John on his marriage banns.

Any thoughts?
    If Martha is probably just a neighbour, and one who might not have known Sarah for very long, it's quite possible that she either didn't know Sarah's husband's name, but knew there was a John 'somewhere in her life' so just said that name, or else genuinely got confused when confronted by officaldom and said John in error.
    I've fortunately only had to register two deaths but each time I've had to think about the answers. And I know that I will have to leave my details in my 'when I pop my clogs' folder because my kids won't know the information they have to supply.

p.s. That was a very quick despatch of the certificate, even if it was a PDF copy.

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    A slightly ‘off the wall’ suggestion for John – if Sarah is his mother – is the birth registration of John Dickson in 1837:
    DICKSON, JOHN mmn FIELD GRO Reference: 1837 S Quarter in WALSINGHAM UNION Volume 13 Page 230

There is a baptism in Wells on 9 Jul 1837 (born 8 Jul 1837) of John s/o Daniel & Sarah Dixon of Swaffham, Labourer.

I can’t find any other baptisms to this couple, nor a marriage. I also can’t find them together in the census. In 1841 Daniel is apparently single & lodging in Swaffham with Joseph & Ann Hudson. He is still with Ann Hudson in 1851 but enumerated as Dickerson and is unmarried. In 1861 & 1871 he is still in Swaffham and still unmarried.
    Hi all,

Some potentially exciting news!

I have received the birth certificate back for John Dickson. It states that his mother was Sarah Dickson, formerly Field, along with father Daniel Dickson. The informant of the birth was Ann Pull, who was previously Ann Field, she married William Pull in 1831. It also states that Ann Pull is John Dickson's Aunt and we know that Sarah and Ann were sisters.

What do we make of that guys?

Famous for offering help & advice

Wow, great news... that pretty much seals it for me, although I'm interested in what others think.

Hi,

Yes, that is exactly the way i felt when i read it! very exciting. I have been looking for so long to find an answer, hopefully this is it. Great spot that was, i have never seen that record before. Glad you found it!

Out of interest, what exact details are given in the date and place of birth columns, name of person registering the birth, and when was the birth registered?

Pam'

Hi,

The birth was given as 8th July 1837 in Wells. Birth was registered on the 21st July, I can't make the name out of who registered it, first name looks like James, but can't make out the surname.

Hi,

The birth was given as 8th July 1837 in Wells. Birth was registered on the 21st July, I can't make the name out of who registered it, first name looks like James, but can't make out the surname.
    Well that will teach me to look at a birth certificate before I ask questions, but when you're asked in future 'who registered the birth' we mean what are the details in column 7, headed signature, description and residence of informant. Not 'what is the name of the Registrar'.

Pam

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast