Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post

There’s also a marraige of Sarah Fields in 1847, father Valentine Fields,witness Miles Fields.
    Sarah married Henry Cable in Gt Yarmouth in 1847. Henry was a widower occ servant. I can't find Henry or Sarah in 1851 or 1861 so far. Given that your John married in Yarmouth it is possible he is with them in 1851, esp if Sarah is his mother.
    There is a death of a Sarah Cable in Yarmouth on 1866 and a Henry Cable in 1868 which could be them. The death certificates could possibly hold some information.

A slightly ‘off the wall’ suggestion for John – if Sarah is his mother – is the birth registration of John Dickson in 1837:
    DICKSON, JOHN mmn FIELD GRO Reference: 1837 S Quarter in WALSINGHAM UNION Volume 13 Page 230

There is a baptism in Wells on 9 Jul 1837 (born 8 Jul 1837) of John s/o Daniel & Sarah Dixon of Swaffham, Labourer.

I can’t find any other baptisms to this couple, nor a marriage. I also can’t find them together in the census. In 1841 Daniel is apparently single & lodging in Swaffham with Joseph & Ann Hudson. He is still with Ann Hudson in 1851 but enumerated as Dickerson and is unmarried. In 1861 & 1871 he is still in Swaffham and still unmarried.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    A slightly ‘off the wall’ suggestion for John – if Sarah is his mother – is the birth registration of John Dickson in 1837:
    DICKSON, JOHN mmn FIELD GRO Reference: 1837 S Quarter in WALSINGHAM UNION Volume 13 Page 230

There is a baptism in Wells on 9 Jul 1837 (born 8 Jul 1837) of John s/o Daniel & Sarah Dixon of Swaffham, Labourer.

I can’t find any other baptisms to this couple, nor a marriage. I also can’t find them together in the census. In 1841 Daniel is apparently single & lodging in Swaffham with Joseph & Ann Hudson. He is still with Ann Hudson in 1851 but enumerated as Dickerson and is unmarried. In 1861 & 1871 he is still in Swaffham and still unmarried.
    I do like that one Jomot. I wonder what the birth certificate would show?....

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Sarah married Henry Cable in Gt Yarmouth in 1847. Henry was a widower occ servant. I can't find Henry or Sarah in 1851 or 1861 so far. Given that your John married in Yarmouth it is possible he is with them in 1851, esp if Sarah is his mother.
    There is a death of a Sarah Cable in Yarmouth on 1866 and a Henry Cable in 1868 which could be them. The death certificates could possibly hold some information.
    All the 66's were confusing. Both Henry and Sarah were 66 when they died, but it was Henry who died in 1866 and Sarah who died in 1868.

When Henry died his address was given as Bath Hill.
    In 1861 there's a Sarah Keable, aged 46, living in Bath Hill, Great Yarmouth, ag lab's wife.
    Born Whitingham, Norfolk.
    There is a WhitLingham in Norfolk.
    RG9/1194 folio 84 page 8.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I think Ann Field may have married William Pull in Wells on 1831
    In 1841 they can be found with George and Mary Cooper and family in Norwich. George is an upholsterer.
    There is a marriage in Norwich in 1828 George Cooper and Mary Fields. Son Alfred Valentine Cooper was born in 1831. I think the Mary could be your Mary.
    A George Cooper was a witness to the marriage of Miles Fields and Mary Ann Bullock.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post

In 1861 there's a Sarah Keable, aged 46, living in Bath Hill, Great Yarmouth, ag lab's wife.
    John Valentine Fields gave his address as Bath Hill on his marriage.
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    John Valentine Fields gave his address as Bath Hill on his marriage.
    Very interesting, and further supports the theory that his mother was Sarah. However, although the banns request says he was living with his parents at Bath Hill, the marriage register gives his address as Regent Road. His father was named as John Fields but this was then crossed through, with father's rank or profession also crossed through.

Also, he signed as John Velington Fields, and both witnesses were connected to the bride.

All the 66's were confusing. Both Henry and Sarah were 66 when they died, but it was Henry who died in 1866 and Sarah who died in 1868.

Lingham in Norfolk.

Pam
    Sorry meant to write it the other way round. I wondered if John might have been the informant on Sarah's death certificate.

There is a WhitLingham in Norfolk.

Pam
    This could well be our Sarah. The Sarah Keable in Yarmouth in 1841 and 1851(married to John with daughter Hannah)appears to have died by 1861 as John is widowed then. Also that Sarah gave pob as North Shields in 1851.
    Our Sarah's pob is Wighton Norfolk which could have been confused with Whitingham esp as Sarah could not write (made her mark at marriage).

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Sorry meant to write it the other way round.I made a mistakae earlier in the thread so I can't tell you off. :smile5|: I wondered if John might have been the informant on Sarah's death certificate.
    My computer is playing silly b's this morning, so for the third time I will attempt to post a short message. I'm going to click 'post' at the end of each line, so give me a few minutes to finish typing before anyone responds.

As Henry died first, and John seems to be living in the same town as his (alleged) mother, it would be logical for him to register her death, so I would certainly be investing seven quid in a PDF opy of Sarah's death certificate.
    In the burial register, Sarah's abode is given as Nelson Road, and I was desperately hoping that was where John was living in 1871 but no such luck.

Wheelsy - to obtain BMD certificates, start here https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...ates/login.asp
    Scroll down to register/sign in, and then you want 'search the indexes'.
    Once you've got Sarah's entry, click the radio button to the left, and then select 'PDF'.

Pam
    who's finally made it. Hurray.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi all,

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. Great to have a few fresh eyes look at it!

I found the same info late last night regarding Henry Cable's address when he died, stated as Bath Hill and that does tie in with Sarah Keable too from the 1861 Census. I was going to ask if anybody thought that 'Keable' could actually be 'Cable' but it seems to have already been answered.

I think checking out the death certificate would be a good start to see if John registered the death.

Thanks all,some great ideas.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast