Exclamation Where is my 1/2 sister

I have been working on my Family History for over the past 20 years. However, more recently I have been trying to find my 1/2 sister but without success. My problem is the lack of names and contradictory information. All of my research indicates that she is English born but my sister in adamant she is French based on things my father said to her and her husband. It had been my belief that records for illegitimate children born in Europe, to serving personnel, had to be recorded. Am I right? If I am right where can I find these records? Would my 1/2 sister have had to be given my father's surname?

Hi
    Because your query concerns a living person which makes it difficult for you I can only think to give you some general information
    The first link is to The National Archives guide Indexes to births, marriages and deaths in the armed forces (1761–1995) Here There is a link to Findmypast which is a pay per view site after you do the initial search and hopefully find an index. Some libraries may have the free library version so yours may have it. There is also a 14 day free trial but do make certain you untick the renew subscription box or they will charge your account for a 12 month sub.

The second is the Genealogy in France site here which may give you an idea of what is involved.

If you don't know the mother's surname, which could be a married surname/maiden surname and the child was registered in the mother's name only you really do have a difficult task ahead.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi
    Because your query concerns a living person which makes it difficult for you I can only think to give you some general information
    The first link is to The National Archives guide Indexes to births, marriages and deaths in the armed forces (1761–1995) Here There is a link to Findmypast which is a pay per view site after you do the initial search and hopefully find an index. Some libraries may have the free library version so yours may have it. There is also a 14 day free trial but do make certain you untick the renew subscription box or they will charge your account for a 12 month sub.

The second is the Genealogy in France site here which may give you an idea of what is involved.

If you don't know the mother's surname, which could be a married surname/maiden surname and the child was registered in the mother's name only you really do have a difficult task ahead.

Christina
    Hi Christina.
    Thank you for the advice. I will certainly try both avenues. I have a subscription to findmypast which is useful. ThoughtCo is run by Myheritage and my subscription with them is no longer valid. However, they do say that getting information for anyone less than 'one hundred' years of age is highly unlikely! I will keep trying though. If I am successful you will hear me shouting!!
    Pollyflinders

Familysearch is free and very international.
    Indexes for English BMD certificates are available on FreeBMD.
    I think that in your position, I’d eliminate the possibility of her being English first. However, we can’t allow details of a (potentially) living people to be published on forum, but they can be shared vis the pm system.