Default Cremation records?

Sorry not sure where to post this. It's a general request to further my understanding.

I have a death certificate for someone now and it confirms it's my great grandfather. But I wondered what avenues there are to find out what happened next.

i.e. burial or cremation? This particularly one was Eastleigh, and I found an online cemetery search. No results there.

But generally what happens with cremations, are there the same level of records?

Any tips?

Thanks.

Famous for offering help & advice

other people will have expert advice, but I have just used the website deceasedonline-dot-com to check a family member and it specifies they were cremated and for £2 it says I can see a cremation register scan.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Depends which part of the country you're talking about, but until the of the 1960s my local newspaper used to have, often quite detailed, obituary and funeral reports. Some times they would be consecutive weeks, the obituary including details of where the funeral would take place, and the following week it would say 'The funeral took place . . .' and then give a list of mourners.
    A lot of newspapers are online at the British Newspaper Archive, and all of those except the latest updates, are also available on Findmypast. Local libraries/archives usually have copies of the local newspapers.

As regards whether he would have had a burial or cremation, first of all check what date the local, and then the next nearest, crematorium were built. One of my uncles was cremated in 1963 but at a crematorium thirty-five miles from where he lived as the local one didn't open until 1966.

All burials and cremations have to be recorded in registers which record the grave number or where the ashes were disposed of. Many authorities charge you if you ask them to search the registers. On the other hand, I went to the cemetery office in my home town with a list of about fifteen people who I knew were buried/cremated there but, most importantly, with their date of death, and was told all the grave numbers, and also if they had any gravestones or other memorial (such as an urn with their name on) and was told everything for free. (Think they must have had a slow day at work that day, because the guy also took me round the cemetery and showed me most of the graves.) For those who were cremated I was told where their ashes were placed.

Always remember that not everyone who is buried has a grave stone, and a lot of indexes are only for memorial inscriptions found on the grave stones.
    Have you checked the parish registers for the local churches near Eastleigh, although is has to be noted that lots of in-town churches had run out of burial space before even 1900. My great-grandfather died in 1869 and although his burial is recorded in the burial register of the parish church he was actually buried in the cemetery because the churchyard was full.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks both for the replies. Wimsey I did try that site, but it came up with no results.

In this case I'll give the two examples I'm tracing. And being relatively new it's hard for me to find out if I'm missing something, or if the info is even available online. Or indeed if there is another avenue.

Alfred B Williams - died 2nd Oct 1966, Eastleigh, Hampshire
    Nellie Williams - died in Q3 1966, Eastleigh, Hampshire

I have the GRO references for their deaths, and now one of the certs.

But I can't find out what happened to them.

I tried https://www.eastleigh.gov.uk/our-com...etery-database

When it says Cemetery search, I'm unclear if that means just graveyards or if this would cover cremations as well. Do you know?

Thanks.

P.S. I see what you mean about dates - Eastleigh got its first crematorium in 2009, so if they were cremated it was in another area.

Famous for offering help & advice

according to the National Archives website, the Southampton Archives Office has "registers of funeral services" for the period 1932-1973. But what that means exactly I'm not sure.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ls/r/N13940581

Thanks... and I was also thinking the deaths were registered as Winchester, so similarly it could be such an archive for Winchester.

I'm new to this part of research, it it a case you visit... or you can email them to ask?

Thanks.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I find the best people to ask are a small friendly local undertakers!

Not all grave yards are controlled by local authorities so they will know who has the records because they are in contact with them on a regular basis..

Reputation beyond repute

Eastleigh got its first crematorium in 2009, so if they were cremated it was in another area.
    But Wessex Vale Crematorium (opened in 2009) is privately run so the council won't have their records.

Try approaching Wessex Vale directly or perhaps try Southampton Council.

BTW Burial/cremation registers are a legal requirement.

A lot of burial registers are with Council Parks and Gardens departments these days. I wonder whether it’s worth asking them about cremations since cremation urns are often placed in cemeteries.

I think I’d ask the relevant FHS for advice. You can find contact info on GENUKI.