Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Alfred Henry Hopkins, 1888 Herefordshire

Hi, have been researching a family member for many years, hoping to get somewhere perhaps with this forum. alfred henry hopkins, born in Madley, herefordshire, last found record in Somerset, 1911, hence the search in forces war records thinking he may have entered the war.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    As you have arrived here from Forces War Records reading this will explain the connection.

More than 60% of WW1 service records were destroyed by bombing/fire/water in WW11 so it is a very lucky person who finds a record for their ancestor.
    What do survive are the Medal Roll Index cards and the Award and Medal records but it is very, very rare for these to have any personal information.
    Findmypast and ancestry.com are licensed to hold and make available online these records and both are pay per view sites. Both of them do have a free library version so it may pay you to ask your local library if they have one of them which you may also be able to access from home.
    I take it your Alfred Henry Hopkins is the one born 1888 to parents George and Mary Ann Hopkins? These details may help us find something.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Have you researched this man to see if he is yours?
    Death
    Alfred Henry Hopkins age 71
    birth date about 1889
    Burial date 29 Aug 1960
    Burial Place - Bexleyheath, Kent
    Bexleyheath Cemetery
    Grave A592

On FreeBMD 1885-1890 there is one other birth registration of an Alfred Henry Hopkins, Mile End registration district, 1889, so there is another one this burial record could refer to but it would be good to eliminate him.

I have also moved your post to the WW1 1914-1918 forum where it will receive more attention. Its new title is Alfred Henry Hopkins, 1888 Herefordshire

Christina
    William Burroughs

[IMG][/IMG]

So according to his brother's probate Alfred Henry was alive in 1962. More likely to be Herbert's son. See following post.

I haven't yet found anything in the military records for him

Christina
    William Burroughs

The Alfred Henry Hopkins mentioned in Herbert's probate is probably his son born 1919 mentioned on Herbert's WW1 service record, which did survive
    So still looking for Alfred Henry born 1888.

There are two deaths on the Commonwealth Graves site but not your man as they have different parents.

Christina.
    William Burroughs

Thank you. Yes The Alfred Henry of 1919 was my grandfather. The other Alfred Henry was his father's brother, have feeling he must have died before my grandfather's birth for him to have been given his name. I also found the name on war graves and eliminated. Thank you for your help, he's a bit of a mystery, no location after 1911 in Somerset.

Don't think the death in bexleyheath is him as there is a Alfred Henry Hopkins born there in January 1889 .Mine is October 1888.

Thank you everybody for your input, I am very grateful.

Famous for offering help & advice

Have you ruled out this death?

HOPKINS, ALFRED HENRY aged 52 GRO Reference: 1941 M Quarter in NEWPORT Volume 11A Page 471

A Q1 registration would make his YoB 1888

May have to send for this record to try and rule him out as no other way of doing so. Have a suspicion he is the Alfred from 1939 census Monmouthshire with a birth date of May 1888, whereas my Alfred is October 1888.