Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default John Mitchell - death scotland

Dear Everyone,
    I have tried ancestry, findmypast and still trying to find the correct death dates for:

John Mitchell born 1825 . Helen Reid 1848 Glasgow.
    his father John Mitchell born. c.1800 m. Elesbeath Anderson Scotland.

cannot find none of their death details for both John;s and their spouses.

John Mitchell c.1800 seems to have had another son called John Mitchell born 1821, but cannot find his death either.

hoping you can help.
    thanks
    Doreenh

A lot depends on when they died. Death certificates only started in Scotland in 1855, so I would start by checking the 1851 census to reduce the spread of time you need to search. Since these are not rare names, anything that helps them stand out is useful. For example, how are they shown on the wedding certs of their children? Deceased parents generally have (dec) after their name.

For death certs, for a small fee, you can download a copy from Scotlands People. See HERE for a description or HERE for the site. You must make an account and can search for free, but pay as you go on copies.

If they died before 1855, then you need to search church records, newspapers, etc, and it's a matter of luck. Many families couldn't/didn't pay for engraved stones, many stones have not survived. Most burial grounds were recorded in the 20th century and the records were sold as booklets by the local FHSs as well as the Scottish Genealogy Society. I have put a collection of How/Where To sticky posts at the head of the General Scottish Forum HERE. Burials are generally recorded in Lair Books (so that they know where not to dig for the next burial) but you need to know which burial ground you are interested in before you can search for the Book you need. They are not always informative - I have seen entries saying things such as "Mr MacMuppet's wife", "A child found in the river", etc.