Settling in

Default Thomas Jubb Shoemaker in Thorne/Leeds 1815-41

Does anyone know if I may be able to find apprentice records for my ancestor Thomas Jubb. I only have Yorkshire as a birthplace and an approximate birth year of 1789. He was married in Thorne in 1814 and all his children were baptised there, his occupation is cordwainer or shoemaker on different entries. I have found him in trade directories for 1822 and 1834 in Thorne listed as shoemaker. in 1841 he is then on the census for Leeds living in New Huddersfield Road and died there of Typhus in 1842.
    I guess he would have been apprenticed at around age 12 perhaps. If anyone can point me in the direction of likely sources for his apprentice indenture that would be helpful.
    thanks in advance.

ancestry has the UK, Register of Duties Paid for Apprentices' Indentures, 1710-1811 but I can only find one entry for a Thomas Jubb and he is the master and it is far too early for your man. At least the name and county are a match.
    Payment Date: 18 Dec 1714
    Residence Location: York
    Thomas Jubb - Master
    George Storzaker - Apprentice

I wonder if your Thomas came from a long line of shoemakers and therefore didn't have to pay for his apprenticeship.

This is The National Archives guide to apprenticeships.
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...s-and-masters/

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Valued member of Brit-Gen

He is also listed as a boot & shoemaker in Thorne in Baines Yorkshire directory of 1822

Settling in

Thanks. I found that one too but thought the same, too early. Could be a further ancestor I guess.

Settling in

Yes Thanks, I had that one, that's my guy. He's also in Pigots 1834 for Thorne and then moves to Leeds at some point as he's on the 1841 census and listed in a Leeds directory for 1842 as shoe maker on New Huddersfield Road, he died at that address in 1842 of typhus. There's also a John Jubb listed at the same Thorne address in pigots 1829 and Whites 1837. I'm assuming possibly brothers but struggling to find anything else about John.

Settling in

Thank you Christina.I'd seen that one but thought it too early. He could be an earlier ancestor I guess. I'm struggling to get past my Thomas as I have nothing with his parents names to eliminate one or both of the possible baptisms I've found.
    Last edited by JillCuth; 25-08-2020 at 6:57 AM. Reason: .

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by JillCuth View Post
    Thanks. I found that one too but thought the same, too early. Could be a further ancestor I guess.
    This reply was for Christina. Sorry, still getting used to the forum and didn't think this had posted, hence the repetition!

Quote Originally Posted by JillCuth View Post
    There's also a John Jubb listed at the same Thorne address in pigots 1829 and Whites 1837. I'm assuming possibly brothers but struggling to find anything else about John.
    FMP has the burial of a John Jubb, 2 Dec 1841, abode Thorne, age 66

1841 Census
    John Jubb, age 65, Ind, born Yorkshire
    isabella Jubb, age 75, born Yorkshire
    Address - Market Place, Thorne
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

FMP has the marrige (image) of -

Place - Cawood
    John Jubb of Thorne, widower, Gentleman and Isabella Mason, of Cawood on 2 Aug 1828.
    A transcript of the Archbishop of York's marriage Licence index gives the ages of both bride and groom as 52 (b.c 1776). This fits John Jubb on the '41 Census (age 65) but not Isabella (age 75) .
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"