Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Looking for info

im new to this and i am trying to find out anything about my father in law all the details i have are as follows, if anyone can help i would be grateful
    O/tel. Powell wh
    P/sx 787147
    Class 133 ax division
    Hms scotia

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. We do aim to help, but minimalist posts can make it difficult!

The most important question that needs answering is whether or not he is currently alive. We are not allowed to post details of (potentially) living people in the open forum. If not, did he serve during WW2 and did he survive?

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

A couple of points which may help clear up some of the general Service related terms. HMS Scotia was a "Stone Frigate", a shore based establishment. It was a WW2 (1942-1946) Signals Training Establishment at Doonfoot Ayrshire, ex Butlins holiday Camp. In 1946 it moved to Lowton St Mary's, Warrington and was Paid Off 19 January 1948. All of which would seem to tie in with O/tel, Ordinary telegraphist.
    Oh and by the way welcome to the Forum.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. We do aim to help, but minimalist posts can make it difficult!

The most important question that needs answering is whether or not he is currently alive. We are not allowed to post details of (potentially) living people in the open forum. If not, did he serve during WW2 and did he survive?
    Yes he died in 1988, we are not sure when he joi ed or when he left the navy, the last date we know he was definitely still in was 1946

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you that is greatinfo. I am trying to get as much info as i can to do a scrap book for my husbands birthday but i have no idea what to do.

WW11 army records are still held by the MoD but prior to 1972 Royal Naval personnel were given their service records on discharge. Only pay details were kept for Pension purposes so the only information held on RN personnel who served prior to 1972 is their service details (number, rank, name etc) and a list of dates and ships/shore bases.

This is where you can download the application forms but it will cost 30 pounds and you need a copy of his death certifcate. Most importantly it will take months to receive them so will only be in your hands for your husband's birthday after this next one.

But once you have the basic records you should be able to follow the ships through the logs/war diaries which are held at The National Archives in Kew. However this probably means a personal visit or the help of a researcher.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Do you know what his forenames were?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Yes william hayden

An unusual middle name can often be a big help in making someone stand out from a crowd!

However, I can't find his death registration (modern entries are not all online). It would be useful to have either his age at death or his birthdate/place.

I think that he must have joined up during the War because he is not in the Register of Seaman's Services which ends in 1939. A search in the 1939 Register for England would probably confirm this, but without other information it's impossible to pick him out from the other William H entries.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

There's a death registration for a William Haydn Powell, September quarter 1988, but it says he was born in 1928 so this William would have been too young to have served in WW2.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast