Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Brownston, Simcoe Co., Ontario

I am trying to locate the above place but google is not showing it. Perhaps someone more local can help, please?
    It is the place given for the marriage of my great grandmother's sister, I think, in 1849. Names are John LEE and Mary REED although the family used the Scottish spelling of REID. Date was 13 Sept 1849 with witnesses William Reed and Priscilla Brown. William may be her brother. Minister was William Fraser, a United Presbyn Minister.
    Another location in the record is Tecumseth for a different couple in August.
    Any help appreciated. pwholt

The nearest I can find (in FamilySearch's list of places in Simcoe Co.) is Brotherston.

I've tried to go back to the familysearch site which gave me the original information to see if what I read as Brownston could be Brotherton but now it says the "image is not available" and the transcription only deals with bridal names and date. Googling Brotherton doesn't bring up anything useful. Thanks for trying Squaredancer. pwholt

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by pwholt View Post
    I've tried to go back to the familysearch site which gave me the original information to see if what I read as Brownston could be Brotherton but now it says the "image is not available" and the transcription only deals with bridal names and date. Googling Brotherton doesn't bring up anything useful. Thanks for trying Squaredancer. pwholt
    Just did a search and the image came up OK. Placename is actually spelt (and very clearly) Brownstown.

I tried earlier by searching for 'townships in Simcoe County Ontario' but nothing beginning with a B showing in lists on Wikipedia.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simcoe_County

Plan B is to get the image again and then go through the other pages in the register to see if that name, or a similar one, is listed elsewhere.

Plan C is to contact Ontario Archives to ask if they have any idea/detailed old maps/etc.

Link to first page of entries in register on FamilySearch, though I don't know if it will work.
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...i=7&cc=2568642

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Link works

The Simcoe Standard, July 21, 1852
    https://canadiana.ca/view/oocihm.N_00...5207/3?r=0&s=6

Columns 6 and 7 are an analysis of the recent Census. The County of Simcoe is about half way down column 7 - no mention of Brownstown as a Township.

These Canadian papers cannot be searched electronically - they have to be read.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

The URL is not delivering the newspaper page I was expecting. It delivers a search facility for the Canadia site (I arrived at the URL via a different route). I popped Brownstown into Search and up popped 303 hits.

I have spotted the "Wyandot village of Brownstown" mentioned. Checking Wyandot mentions "the Wyandot or Wendat occupying a territory, sometimes called Huronia, around what are now called Lake Simcoe and Georgian Bay ....."

Looking at the register the column is headed "Township in which the ceremony is performed" but immediately below "Residence" has been written in.

The same page shows (1) "Sydenham"- there is a Sydenham in Frontenac County, well to the East of Simcoe County (2) "King" - there is a King township adjoining Simcoe County to the south.

The places in this column are not confined to Simcoe County?

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Looking at the register the column is headed "Township in which the ceremony is performed" but immediately below "Residence" has been written in.
    That "Residence" has been written in at the top of the column is just a coincidence. It appears against several other entries at any position in the column. But the names in that column do not appear to be confined to Simcoe County in spite of Image 1 "Simcoe County Marriage Register, 1842-1858".

I started to check the 1851 Ontario census on Canadian Archives for some of the names appearing on the marriage register - but hit a blank against every search. So, delved a bit deeper and discovered
    https://bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/185...da-west.aspx#s

Same old names as on the marriage register appearing as districts/subdistricts of Simcoe County - but no mention of Brownstown.

At the moment all roads lead to Brownstown, Wayne County, Michigan, just across the water from Ontario.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast