Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SILVESTER/BALL

A fountain of knowledge

Default SILVESTER/BALL

Seeking information on Daisy Maria Silvester who married William Ball.

Daisy was born 1859 Lambeth Father Alfred and Mother Mary Ann Christiana Smith.I have her in the 1861 and 1871 census. Died 7th September 1921 Echuca, Victoria, Australia.

William Ball was born 1852 Leighton Buzzard. Father Thomas and Mother Mary Ann Attwood.I don't have the census for 1861 and 1871. Died 17th July 1921 Echuca.

Echuca FHS told me that William gained his Dental and Pharmacy qualifications in Hong Kong in 1878.He then went to Africa, Melbourne and then Echuca where he had his own dental practice and where they both died.William and Daisy were married in 1879 Madras, India. I asked if there was any further info and where this was obtained but thanks to COVID-19 Victoria is now in total lock down so I'm not holding my breath.

I am very interested to know about their travels ie Passenger lists etc. Did Daisy go to India and meet William there and info on his time in Hong Kong, where he studied/qualified etc etc. I have done an email tour of HK but go round in circles. Then info on his time in Africa etc. Newspaper articles also welcome.

All info on my Ancestry tree - Watson, Hughes, Clarke families from Northumberland.
    with thanks Jill.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    William and Daisy were married in 1879 Madras, India. I asked if there was any further info and where this was obtained but thanks to COVID-19 Victoria is now in total lock down so I'm not holding my breath.
    The marriage is online - 10 Apr 1879 by Licence at at St Andrew's Church, Church of Scotland, Madras
    William Ball 27 Bachelor Chemist. Father: Thomas Ball
    Daisy Maria Silvester 19 Spinster. Father: Alfred Silvester
    Both resident at Madras at time of marriage

ADDED: Also, from the Indian newspapers

Allens Indian Mail 10 May 1879
    Ball - Silvester - April 10, at Madras, W. Ball, son of Thomas Ball, Esq., Mentmore, England, to Daisy Maria Silvester, daughter of Dr. A. Silvester, of London, England.

The Times of India 15 May 1879
    Apr 10 at Madras W Ball son of Thomas Ball Esq Mentmore England to Daisy Maria Silvester daughter of Dr A Silvester of London England

Allens Indian Mail 19 May 1879
    Ball - Silvester - April 10, at St. Andrew's Church Madras, by the Rev. W.A. Liston, W. Ball, son of the late Thomas Ball, Mentmore, England, to Daisy Maria Silvester, only daughter of Dr. Alfred Silvester, of London.

A fountain of knowledge

JOMOT1
    Thanks so much for the information on the Marriage which is very kind of you to have found. Very grateful.
    However, although I had received em notification that that had been posted, it is only now when I log on that in fact I see the newspaper articles about the Marriage which again, is a great help.Many thanks Jill

A fountain of knowledge

I have just been given the link, as below, for Victorian Passenger lists and there are a few possibles for William and Daisy Ball. Unfortunately I can't access them on Ancestry as not a member, so if anyone can access these I'd be very grateful. I just looked for William born 1852 and there seem to be a couple of listings that might be him arriving Melbourne possibly after his marriage in India 1879. I haven't used this link before so don't completely understand the entries. Victorian Immigrant arrivals (https://prov.vic.gov.au/explore-coll...nd-immigration)

Also that there is a "Photo of him in his car with his driver Mr Holmfield which was also in the Woman’s Day magazine in 1989. "I guess that 1989 is a typing error on their part so possibly 1889.
    with thanks Jill

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    I have just been given the link, as below, for Victorian Passenger lists and there are a few possibles for William and Daisy Ball. Unfortunately I can't access them on Ancestry as not a member, so if anyone can access these I'd be very grateful. I just looked for William born 1852 and there seem to be a couple of listings that might be him arriving Melbourne possibly after his marriage in India 1879. I haven't used this link before so don't completely understand the entries. Victorian Immigrant arrivals (https://prov.vic.gov.au/explore-coll...nd-immigration)

Also that there is a "Photo of him in his car with his driver Mr Holmfield which was also in the Woman’s Day magazine in 1989. "I guess that 1989 is a typing error on their part so possibly 1889.
    with thanks Jill
    Jill,

This is not the first time you have asked for a look-up on Ancestry, and once again you have to be reminded that you are in breach of forum T&Cs. Specifically see the 'Look-ups' paragraph, and then continue reading section 8 regarding breach of these rules.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo....php#copyright

In asking other people to do look-ups, you are asking them to breach the T&Cs imposed on them by commercial sites such as Ancestry and FMP.

As I (and others) have suggested on previous occasions, either see if you can access Ancestry at home through your local library, or else take out a month's sub to Ancestry. The last time I looked a monthly sub to Ancestry world-wide records cost about twenty quid, i.e. less than a pound a day. It's surprising just how many records you can access, confirm, and download for future reference in that time. A seven-day sub to Essex Record Office's online records cost me the same amount but in addition to baptism and burial records I was also able to access about six marriage certificates, thereby saving myself over £60, so it was well worth the investment. You may well find the same thing with Ancestry.

Having said that, based on the assumption that she is likely to be travelling with William, a search for Daisy Ball in Ancestry's 'Immigration and Travel'records returned no useful (i.e. Australian) references 1879-1919.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

A fountain of knowledge

Although I am extremely nervous at posting a message on this site I thought I'dpost a little Update on info for William Ball further to my first post 21st August 2020.
    Info from my last posting is that I believe William sailed from the UK arriving Melbourne April 1873. He worked/lived in Collins Street.
    As previously posted, Jono1 kindly found his marriage in 1879 to Daisy Maria Silvester in Madras, India. It's possible that she sailed from the UK with her family either to Melbourne and then NZ or vice versa.
    I was further told, as posted, that he qualified in 1878 as a Dental Surgeon in Hong Kong.
    I have him in Echuca by 1893 although it is thought that he arrived well before that from Melbourne. He and Daisy then settled in Echuca where he died 17th July 1921 and she died 7th September 1921.
    I would be very appreciative for input to try to put together the chronological details.with thanksJill

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

You may like to check out my story-in-progress at https://sydneymagic.net/silvester5.html concerning the magician Alfred Silvester. There will be further information coming shortly in Chapter Six. The Silvester family had come to Australia in 1874 but he left to tour Asia including Hong Kong in 1878, and Daisy Silvester (his daughter) was with him as an assistant and featured performer in the "entranced lady" floating illusion.

William Ball joined troupe as Business Manager. After his marriage to Daisy Silvester in Madras, he continued to act as manager, and was the lessee of the St. George's Hall, Melbourne, in 1881 when Alfred Silvester had returned to Australia.

You can find a photograph of William and Daisy at my website, https://sydneymagic.net/ensor-09.html images 21 and 22.
    Daisy retired from the stage in April 1881

Kent Blackmore - 'Magic in Sydney'

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Can’t view the item.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Links both tell me connection not private & advise not to go there 😒

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by michellemcintosh3 View Post
    Can’t view the item.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squaredancer View Post
    Links both tell me connection not private & advise not to go there ��
    Firstly, the sydneymagic dot net site itself is OK, and Kent is a very legit person. See the end of the second paragraph of 'Scrapbooks'.
    https://sydneymagic.net/ensor.html

To see the photo of William and Daisy, click on the left-hand volume 9 of the scrapbook, and then count to image 21. Click. It will probably take a while to come up - which may be the reason for the original link giving warning signals.

Unfortunately, I can't find an easy way to the Silvester reference.

ADDED
    Well, piffle to that!!!!
    I tried my link, and it worked OK, and now, ten minutes later it's showing a warning too.
    So, method three.

Type in to your browser sydneymagic Add a dot, follow it with net.
    From the tabs across the top of the page click on Ensor, and you should get a page headed 'The Harrie Ensor Scrapbooks'.
    Scroll down page.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast