Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SILVESTER/BALL

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Blackmore View Post
    You may like to check out my story-in-progress at https://sydneymagic.net/silvester5.html concerning the magician Alfred Silvester. There will be further information coming shortly in Chapter Six. The Silvester family had come to Australia in 1874 but he left to tour Asia including Hong Kong in 1878, and Daisy Silvester (his daughter) was with him as an assistant and featured performer in the "entranced lady" floating illusion.

William Ball joined troupe as Business Manager. After his marriage to Daisy Silvester in Madras, he continued to act as manager, and was the lessee of the St. George's Hall, Melbourne, in 1881 when Alfred Silvester had returned to Australia.

You can find a photograph of William and Daisy at my website, https://sydneymagic.net/ensor-09.html images 21 and 22.
    Daisy retired from the stage in April 1881

Kent Blackmore - 'Magic in Sydney'
    Hello Kent,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

I think you must have used a bit of magic to find us as I suspect genealogy forums are not something you inhabit very often.

As you can see, I've found a way to view the photo of William and Daisy, but am having no luck with the other link you gave. I'm no techie, but I think the reason the links you gave came up with a warning is because your site doesn't have a 'padlock' in front of it. Don't ask me to explain any further - as I said, I am not technical. (I am so bad that whenever I get a new laptop my son has to tell me where the 'on' button is.)

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

If you put Alfred Silvester magician into Google it brings up Silvester - Magic in Sydney which is on Kent's sydneymagic.net site and gives the article and photos.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

My apologies for the "Insecure site" warnings. I am working on getting rid of that - it's caused by most of the big browsers now requiring a security certificate (called SSL) otherwise they mark your site as potentially dodgy. SO I'll have to cough up the fee for the certificate. But meantime the site is perfectly safe, I can assure you!

You can manually get to the Silvester story by following the "Mystery in History" link on the front page and then going to the year 1874 for Silvester's story. If you need to email me for a copy of the photos, please feel free to contact me at kblackmore AT sydneymagic DOT net
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 10-02-2023 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Email address edited to deter spammers

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    If you put Alfred Silvester magician into Google it brings up Silvester - Magic in Sydney which is on Kent's sydneymagic.net site and gives the article and photos.
    Now why didn't I think of that simple solution?
    Though my brain has been all over the place this week. Take your pick of the following for the reason why:
    weather/year flying by/Valentine's Day next week/less than eleven months to Christmas/summer's coming (Northern hemisphere only)/middle life crisis/old age.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Blackmore View Post
    My apologies for the "Insecure site" warnings. I am working on getting rid of that - it's caused by most of the big browsers now requiring a security certificate (called SSL) otherwise they mark your site as potentially dodgy. SO I'll have to cough up the fee for the certificate. But meantime the site is perfectly safe, I can assure you!

You can manually get to the Silvester story by following the "Mystery in History" link on the front page and then going to the year 1874 for Silvester's story. If you need to email me for a copy of the photos, please feel free to contact me at kblackmore AT sydneymagic DOT net
    Thank you, Kent. I will try to remember 'SSL certificate' in future. Sounds a bit more knowledgeable than 'a padlock in front'.

Thank you also for the 'how to' access the Silvester story, and also the offer of a copy of the photo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12