Knowledgeable and helpful

Default The certificate is wrong!

The following is the result of extensive, and expensive(!) research as I have explored every conceivable explanation before concluding that the information on the certificate is wrong. Even so, I suspect there will be those who will conclude that the researcher is wrong ! Where possible I have indicated how I think the error may have occured.

Robert Smith married Sarah Rosser. Groom's father named as George Smith.( Father actually Joseph Smith, step-father George Jones)

Birth of daughter Jane registered by Sarah. Identified on certificate as "Sarah Smith, formerly Richards" (It seems probable that the maiden name of Sarah's mother was Richards)

A second daughter registered in name of Jennet whilst earlier daughter registered in same name still alive. Both appear together on census.Younger girl always recorded as Gwenllian. No record of birth of Gwenllian. (Births registered by mother "Sarah Smith, formerly Rosser")

When Jane married, name of bride's father given as Thomas Smith. Robert (x) Smith present as witness. (Groom's name Thomas).

Sarah was born 4th of parents' 8 known children so well after their (presumed) marriage.

I have eliminated Robert Smith/ Sarah Richards marriage.

That four such errors should occur within one family group seems incredible -I can hardly believe it myself. The only possible explanation I can suggest is that the family may have been Welsh speaking and there was fractured communication. My findings are consistent with those of other interested parties.

And those who don't know think genealogy is a 'hobby' to retreat to when needing some calm and certainty in our lives.

For what it is worth I think the certificate is wrong.

)Robert Smith married Sarah Rosser. Groom's father named as George Smith.( Father actually Joseph Smith, step-father George Jones)
    Groom is asked " what is your father's name." He answers "George" because his stepfather brought him up but doesn't give surname. Priest assumes the surname is the same as the grooms and writes down Smith as the surname.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

The registrars depended on what they were told. People did make names or other info up, rather than admit that for any scandalous reason. Thus, my Great Uncle David got his mother’s name wrong when he registered his father’s death. She died when the children were all young, and GU David presumably only knew her as “mother” or something similar. She’s correctly named on her own death certificate (reg by her husband) and the father’s details are correct on both death certificates.

That’s a good piece of investigation, BB!

Knowledgeable and helpful

well its not unusual in my hubbies maternal family....grandfather was registered with great grans supposed 1st husband they never married, always used 2nd husbands name.......3of his siblings were registered with 2nd husbands name but buried as 1st husbands children following so far!!
    great great grans children sometimes used mothers maiden name sometimes husbands and occasionaly a partner it has given my little grey cells a workout had some help from a few family members its all part of fun of family history