Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will query

Starting to feel at home

It definitely could be Combwell. Thanks. I’ve never seen a Capital ‘C’ done like that before though. Interesting. Thank you everyone. Now to decipher the rest!

Love the research aspect....” Augustinian Canons Regular
    abbey founded c.1220 by Robert de Turneham;
    reduced to priory status c.1220 due to endowment shortfall;
    disputed between Augustinian and Premonstratensian — found in favour of Augustinians c.1230;
    dissolved 1536; granted to Thomas Culpepper 1537/8; granted to Sir John Gage 1542/3”

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Ambersand View Post
    It definitely could be Combwell. Thanks. I’ve never seen a Capital ‘C’ done like that before though. Interesting. Thank you everyone. Now to decipher the rest!

Love the research aspect....” Augustinian Canons Regular
    abbey founded c.1220 by Robert de Turneham;
    reduced to priory status c.1220 due to endowment shortfall;
    disputed between Augustinian and Premonstratensian — found in favour of Augustinians c.1230;
    dissolved 1536; granted to Thomas Culpepper 1537/8; granted to Sir John Gage 1542/3”
    Googling around last night I found that Pashley Manor Ticehurst was sold in 1540 by the Boleyn family to Thomas May of Combwell. I think East Sussex records office - the Keep- have various records and it was also mentioned in the Tudor trail and descriptions of Pashley gardens.

Starting to feel at home

So definitely Combwell. Have you seen a capital ‘C’ written like that before (a circle and a cross?)

This website has some good info, it may be that it is the scribes shorthand version of the Capital C in Secretary Hand on p10

https://www.swansea.gov.uk/media/136..._Documents.pdf

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Ambersand View Post
    So definitely Combwell. Have you seen a capital ‘C’ written like that before (a circle and a cross?)

This website has some good info, it may be that it is the scribes shorthand version of the Capital C in Secretary Hand on p10

https://www.swansea.gov.uk/media/136..._Documents.pdf
    That does seem likely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12