Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Default Witness Surname please>

Suggestions as to Dealias surname please?
    [IMG]surname[/IMG]

She is a marriage witness at Willenhall, Staffordshire in 1898 - I have tried looking through indexes for 1891-1901 to get a name but am drawing a blank.

Thanks

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch in Notts; 19-08-2020 at 2:25 PM. Reason: Image didn't attach

Anyone tell me how I attach an image now (they've changed the rules again I presume) - but the rules https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...y-to-your-post appear unchanged!

I can’t see any images.

Who was the marraige between?

Willenhall St Stephen 30 May 1898 George GRANT & Frances Esther MANSFIELD. Images are on findmypast. Thanks.

Tyres?? Tyers? Maybe!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

It's not a lot of help, but looking at the way George writes his R's the third letter is (IMO) an R

Pam.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I wonder if it might be Fryer (gone badly wrong!)

I see that George is a locksmith and an Isaac Fryer, Locksmith, married Deliliah Cox in Willenhall in 1893. The signature on that marriage has some similarities to the witness signature, although I'd be hard pushed to say they were a match.

However, at marriage George & Frances were living at Peel Street & Gomer Street respectively, and the Fryers were baptising children at Wood Street. If those street names/locations have remained unchanged then all three are within 1/2 mile of each other :/

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I like your logic, Jomot, and admit that I'd been tossing up whether the first letter of the surname was a Y or an F.

I had searched Staffordshire Marriages, FreeBMD and the 1891 and 1901 census for people who spelt their name Dealia, but without any success.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch in Notts View Post
    Anyone tell me how I attach an image now (they've changed the rules again I presume) - but the rules https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...y-to-your-post appear unchanged!
    To upload an image to the forums the first step is to make sure that you are in Go Advanced mode on the Brit-Gen thread where you want to place the photo. Click on the picture frame in the row of images above the reply box. (6 from the RH side. The box that appears requires a URL address.
    You have to upload your photo to a free site which will provide a URL address. I use Postimage which is very simple.
    On the home page of Postimage click on 'Choose images' then find and click on the file you want to upload where you have the photo stored on your computer eg Pictures. Then click on the particular folder that holds your picture and Open it. Choose your photo, click on it and click on Open. You are now taken back to the Postimage page where you are given a choice of 9 links. Click on the URL 'Hotlink for forum' Now right click on the URL address and then click on Copy. Go back to the reply box on the Brit-Gen thread and in the URL box right click on your mouse and from the menu click on paste. The URL for your photo is now ready to be posted on the forum along with any information you hae typed in to accompany it.
    I hope I have explained this clearly enough for you to have a go. There are other free sites from which to upload images but not being very tech savvy I found the one above the easiest to use.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thanks Christina why is nothing simple anymore!

And Jomot thank you for that most interesting idea - considering she hasn't spelt her forename in the usual way the surname perhaps was even more of a challenge.... And yes Gomer & Peel Streets are in my family while Wood Street, home of the town cemetery, wasn't far away. (PS virtually everyone in Willenhall was a locksmith )

Thanks again,

Mitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast