Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Valued member of Brit-Gen barbara lee's Avatar

On the subject of secrecy of the drop points of V1s. I'm sure I read somewhere that they were deliberately misreported, as landing further in one direction than they actually did, so that the German targeters would adjust their sights, thinking they were aiming more accurately. but in fact were causing them to drop in "safe" places.

Quote Originally Posted by barbara lee View Post
    On the subject of secrecy of the drop points of V1s. I'm sure I read somewhere that they were deliberately misreported, as landing further in one direction than they actually did, so that the German targeters would adjust their sights, thinking they were aiming more accurately. but in fact were causing them to drop in "safe" places.
    How very inconvenient for us

Loves to help with queries

For information about the deception operation (The Double Cross System) find the V-1 Flying Bomb article on Wiki.
    It was also used against the V-2s.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Redhill is nearer to Nutfield than Banstead, so if I was Stephen I would try a query to the Redhill group.
    I'd give them the background to the story, and say that there is an article on page 5 of the Surrey Advertiser of 24 June 1944. Do they have access to newspapers and if so, is there a better copy of the paper than the one on the BNA site, or is there a more local paper which has further details?
    Local group could probably have more knowledge of the incident.
    Pam
    Taken your advice and contacted them, thanks.
    I also went for a walk around Nutfield yesterday. Unfortunately, there's nothing in the churchyard and only a WWI memorial in the village. On the plus side, we picked plenty of blackberries and a few cobnuts!

Thank you for everyone's help. I received George's death cert from the GRO recently. Poor George died in Surrey County Hospital, Redhill "...due to war operations". I'm sure it was the V1 bomb that killed the other 8 members of the Pioneer Corps that same day in Redhill.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyShome View Post
    Thank you for everyone's help. I received George's death cert from the GRO recently. Poor George died in Surrey County Hospital, Redhill "...due to war operations". I'm sure it was the V1 bomb that killed the other 8 members of the Pioneer Corps that same day in Redhill.
    Thanks for coming back with details of the death certificate.
    I'm with your thoughts that his death was due to the V1 bomb.
    The death certificate of one of the family I spoke about in post #10 who were killed by a bomb gives her cause of death as 'Due to war operations'.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Loves to help with queries

Hi
    About halfway down this page there is a report of a V1 bombs in Redhill on 16th June.
    https://www.open.ac.uk/Arts/history-f...pt2Fbombs.html

It could well be the one you are looking for. Use Redhill in the "Find on this page" function of your browser.

Quote Originally Posted by StintonLomas View Post
    Hi
    About halfway down this page there is a report of a V1 bombs in Redhill on 16th June.
    https://www.open.ac.uk/Arts/history-f...pt2Fbombs.html

It could well be the one you are looking for. Use Redhill in the "Find on this page" function of your browser.
    Thank you very much for the link. It must've been terrifying.....those accounts on that page can't be comprehended.
    This is another I found when I was researching George's death. I researched Nutfield because it is named as the place of death of another member of the Pioneer Corp the same day George was killed. https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peo...a3453707.shtml

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234