Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Question Looking for help

Hi my name is Alan Day and I'm 64. I spent from 1975 to 1997 in the Royal Navy, becoming a Chief Petty Officer Weapons Engineering Mechanic ( Ordnance ). My son is a serving Staff Sergeant in the RAMC with 15 years service. I'm trying to find details of my father's service as my family were placed in an orphanage when our mother died. Dad never spoke of any of his service life and I have scant details, the only sure thing was his recurring bouts of malaria that troubled him for the rest of his life. These are the facts I have. Full name. Frederick Ernest Day, DOB 07/09/1920 and he was in the Royal Corps of Signals. I really hope that someone can help me as my grandchildren, five of them, are interested in our family history. Thank you

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Alan,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Your father's service records, like anyone who served after 1922, are still held by the MoD.
    Details on how to apply can be found here.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...757#post585757
    As well as the application forms, you will need to send a copy of his death certificate and a cheque for thirty pounds. A couple of years ago the waiting time to receive a reply was about ten weeks. Since then there have been several wartime anniversaries (which always cause a spike in interest) plus Covid-19 so I expect it could take a minimum of six months before you hear back. (Every time I type these words I think to myself 'time you got your request sent off'. I've had the forms printed out for at least eighteen months!)

If you haven't still got a copy of the death certificate then yell and we'll tell you how to apply for another one.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”