Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Default Israel Moravia, merchant

I would greatly appreciate any help or pointers with this family

Israel Moravia - I think died 1816. There is a lengthy will on Ancestry which may offer useful clues but I am finding it unreadable.

wife Esther/Hester - I think died 1823. I don't know her surname.

So far I am aware of three daughters to Israel & Esther, mainly because they were each baptised as adults just before their respective marriages. But I'm sure there would be other daughters and/or sons.

Jessica/Jessy Moravia born 1776, married Richard Brown in 1801
    Harriet/Harriot Moravia born 1790, married Samuel Woodham in 1813
    Elizabeth Moravia born 1792, married Francis CEAL in 1824

so I guess basically I would like Israel's age at time of death, likewise Esther + her surname + the year of their marriage + the names of any other children

Not asking much am I !?

with thanks in anticipation

newspapers of 1782 mention a bankruptcy of Israel Moravia in partnership with Moses Moravia

newspapers of 1808 mention a partnership of Israel Moravia, George Moravia, Sampson Lucas and Mashod Shannon being dissolved - something to do with Jamaica ?

I haven't mentioned places - we are basically City of London / East End area

If you look on Synagogue Scribes Will Extracts data base you will see the part of the transcribed will of Israel Moravia and his wife.NA 326/327. These contain the various relatives and other details.
    More records are being added and it is best to look at What's New on the website.

I will add any further relevant data on Israel and Esther where possible but bear with me if it takes time.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction

I am being very dim. I am not finding MORAVIA as a surname in the Cemetery Scribes database. Or do I trawl through all the names in the Nuevo lists ?

just for information I think the Louisa Moravia, in the will extract, married to Robert Brown (in 1808) was the daughter of Moses & Rebecca (according to an 1808 baptism record).

The Will extracts are on Synagogue Scribes secular records under Will Extracts- see also JewishGen UK Data base- see Israel under various records plus the Moravia burials. You have to join JewishGen -free membership.Burial records are being added and you might want to look for these over time.
    As you will know, the family are Sephardic Jews and their descendants were marrying out of the Jewish customs.There are possibly Bevis Marks records on the lines.

thank you,yes I found the will extracts - very useful. It was the burial records that I was looking for.

Anyway it looks like Israel and Moses Moravia were brothers. Moses's daughter Esther married William Carter. Moses's daughter Charlotte married John Slade SKAIFE, and his daughter Louisa married Robert Brown.

The wife of Moses Moravia seems to be Rebecca BARAH.

thank you for the additional information.

If you look on Google Books you will see the Court case involving George Moravia and the niece of Israel Moravia. The case involved George Moravia as trustee not paying a bequest as part of the will of Israel Moravia because he had become a bankrupt in 1828.

See The Legal Observer or Journal of Jurisprudence Vol 2 P345-346 1831. The Moravia had investments in the UK and Jamaica.

There maybe Bevis Marks records which show the marriage of Israel/Esther with their father's names. With regard to the dob of Israel this would be recorded on his circumcision but these are very rare records and if Israel was not born in the UK then such a record is unlikely to exist.

thank you very much

the burial records of Israel and Esther wouldn't say how old they were at death ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast